@dubliner8 have you any performance figures say gong back a dozen years. @Colm Fagan gave us those figures (normalise of course to start at 100). I seem to recall that he beat a World Index.
@Duke of Marmalade In fairness to @dubliner8 , it's probably a case of apples and oranges. My ARF is gross of tax. I suspect that @dubliner8 's portfolio is net.
Readers may enjoy the attached piece, which I wrote in 2019, extolling the virtues of a concentrated portfolio. Two of the stocks mentioned in the piece, Phoenix (now called Standard Life) and Renishaw, are still among my largest holdings. At the time, I was happy with my short position in Tesla. Let's not go there!! Needless to say, I have avoided Tesla like the plague for the last few years, from both a short and a long perspective! There is an entire thread on AAM about the losses I incurred shorting Tesla.
Attachments
The Virtues of a Small Harem Update 11 of DoaPI.pdf
@Duke of Marmalade I'm only in my 40s and have barely begun my journey with investing so no, not yet. I do have my doubts but maybe that's the lack of foresight at this stage. I'm taking delivery of 3 Steps to Investment Success by Rory Gillen soon, I had seen a commenter mention this book in this thread. @Colm Fagan I haven't made enough gains in value terms yet to incur a taxable event, while my dividends would be net of withholding tax. Not sure I'm answering on that correctly with that. Not that it matters I guess since I don't have any data yet.