"Perfect Family On Board"

I thought it was for a completely different reason...

If your car is involved in a bad accident it notifys the emergency services that you were carrying a baby. It was a response to a few instances where the fact that a baby/child was in the backseat was overlooked due to state of the car wreck.

If your car is in a bad accident and wrecked to the extent that the baby could be overlooked, surely the baby on board sign wouldnt have survived?

2) a frazzled mammy has enough stress trying to strap in a crying baby into a car seat (my baby hates her car seat), strap the seat down in the car, get the buggy disassembled and all the components in the back, calm the baby down, without having to remember to put up and down car stickers everytime.

Sounds to me like the mammy in this case needs an L-sign:D

I think you're being over-sensitive Wally.

I loathe all car stickers but is there really any difference between your example and say, "World's best lover" "Genius at the wheel" or something?

I have both of these things tattooed to my arms.

What's wrong with them?

well i guess if you are the worlds best lover they are wasting money on falsely claiming your title

My opinion of the 'Baby on Board' stickers is that regardless of their original intent it is actually a warning to other drivers that the driver of the BonB car has a greater potential than other road users to be distracted by what is going on in the car and therefore they should treat them with greater caution than usual. I put them up there with Taxi Drivers, liable for almost anything.

Now, a perfect family on board, I've never met one so wouldn't pay too much attention to that!!

I thought it was for a completely different reason...

If your car is involved in a bad accident it notifys the emergency services that you were carrying a baby. It was a response to a few instances where the fact that a baby/child was in the backseat was overlooked due to state of the car wreck.

If that is the case then they should definitely be removed anytime the baby is not travelling in the car with you. Otherwise the emergency services could waste valuable time looking for this nonexistent baby.

To the original OP, I think the joke behind the sticker is that the 'perfect family' doesn't exist. I do take your point about insensitivity though. I hate reading articles in magazines where celebrities who have just had a baby talk about how their life was meaningless before this, how they have now finally become an adult, how they didn't realise how pointless their existence was without children. They obviously never stop for a second to think of the pain they could be causing infertile people, people who have lost a child or anyone who, for some reason, cannot but would like to have children.

OP, As someone who has firsthand experience of IVF etc and had a sister who was severely physically and mentally handicapped I still think you are being way over sensitive.

All stickers on the back of car windows come across to me as silly, and mildly annoying.
The reason that BoB stickers get more negative reaction is that they come across as
silly, mildly annoying and very, very smug.

I have heard that the original idea was to alert the amergency services to the presence of a baby in the car, but this is a very weak reason.

1) As has already been pointed out, if a crashed car is crushed enough for it not be possible to see a baby seat, it is hardly likely that the back windscreen is intact enough for the small triangle is visible

2) I have enough faith in the emergency services to believe that they are not going to give up looking for occupants in the car, because there is no B0B sticker.
( "Will we look on the back seat ?" - "No, lets go home early, there no sticker telling us to")

I have heard that the original idea was to alert the amergency services to the presence of a baby in the car, but this is a very weak reason.

That is a myth. More info here.

I actually think this is bordering on offensive. What kind of sado actually buys this sticker? I take offence to it

Really OP, I am sorry for the difficulty that you are going though at the moment, but you are being way to sensitive here. You need to know that the world is going to continue spinning even when it seems that your world has stopped. There is always going to to be something that reminds people of the difficulty that they are going through.

The sign sounds like it was a joke and not something that was meant to offend. Would you have had the same problem if you had seem the car after it had dropped one or both of the children to school?

Wow, alot of replies!

Yes I did say people would say I was over sensitive. I possibly am. However one has to be in this situation to have a remote idea of what it's like, and I guess in life in general I just try to be senstive to people and their problems. Yes it is very insensitive reading as someone said people going on about life being meaningless without kids blah blah Jolie going on about planning her next one, but I can't get into how annoying all of that is on this thread as it's too far off on a tangent.

I never said I wanted the world to stop spinning thank you very much - merely for people to try and be a bit more considerate to others, as I do in my life.

Purple, with all due respect you don't know my situation, whether there already handicapped people in my family, what IVF has been done in my family etc. and I won't elaborate on it, your situation won't be the same as mine.

I think the person who puts this sticker up is an absolute idiot is all!!!!

I don't care if I'm over sensitive I just think they're an idiot!!!

Thanks for the replies.............

Wally, you original post could actually be view as offensive when you interpret the 'prefect family' as man, woman, boy, girl, which is what you did in when you saw the sign and when you posted.

Therefore you are implying that all other families are not prefect!

Beauty, as the say, is in the eye of the beholder, and as long as a person views their own family , regardless of how many boys or girls or to quote your original post 'baby which may be handicapped or that type of thing', as perfect who is anyone, including you, to say otherwise.

well i guess if you are the worlds best lover they are wasting money on falsely claiming your title

Should I be charging them for using the names.

There is one big problem if it ever came up I might have to prove it.

The question would be would I get to do them seperately or at the same time.

Wally, you original post could actually be view as offensive when you interpret the 'prefect family' as man, woman, boy, girl, which is what you did in when you saw the sign and when you posted.

Beauty, as the say, is in the eye of the beholder, and as long as a person views their own family , regardless of how many boys or girls or to quote your original post 'baby which may be handicapped or that type of thing', as perfect who is anyone, including you, to say otherwise.

Families are not perfect unless they have at least 4 cats, 1 gold fish, 10 geese, 2 dogs and a live-in nanny.

Unfortunately Blinder you obviously didn't read the original post properly - you will see that I said that the 'Perfect Family' sticker had a PICTURE of a man, woman, girl and boy so was not MY interpretation of the perfect family - it was the sticker creator's interpretation of the perfect family - which is the exact point I was making - so your point is absolutely validating what I ORIGINALLY said - that this should not be portrayed as the perfect family.

I'm glad you agree with me anyway ;0)

Wally as I said earlier you would want to be a bit of a nerd(ette) to put a 'perfect family' sticker on your car. I agree that I think of Homer Simpsons' neighbour and shudder... So glad not to be perfect and you should be too...:) All the best.

Gianni is right. 'Baby on Board' stickers generated in America (where else); in order to warn fire fighters and paramedics of the possible presence of a baby or small child in a car in the event of an accident.
They have since been corrupted by silly versions : 'Perfect family on board' and worse still 'Guided by Angels' and 'Never go faster than your angels can fly'. Take them with a pinch of salt, on a scale of world annoyances they are way down the list.

Back