Pepper offer February 2024

capslock

I've posted here before about our situation. Below is the synopsis I posted for Brendan in 2022. We have been fixed at 3.7% for the past 5 years since moving from PTSB and this is ending shortly. Pepper has advised our new rate is 8.36%. Horrible. We have approached them for a reduction and they have give us 2 potential options.

Option 1: Leave warehouse amount alone for now and a reduced variable rate of 6.5% on the active mortgage with a term extension until I am 70 (and husband will be 78).

Option 2: Take over warehouse amount and pay 4.5% interest on the full amount with the same term extension as above. The active amount is around €143k now and the warehouse €82k.

These are variable rates, not fixed, so can go up (or down) at any stage. Any thoughts appreciated. I had hoped for far better options tbh.

There's around 6 years left on the CU loan for the house extension. We intend heavily overpaying on the mortgage after that.

Thanks in advance.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original split

1) Which lender PTSB, since sold to Pepper
2) Date of split 2013
3) Amount of split €175k active, €82k warehouse
4) Were you on a tracker or normal mortgage rate? Normal, currently 3.7%
5) What age will you be when your mortgage term ends? Myself 65, himself 72 :eek:

Progress since then
6) Current balance e.g. €170k active/€100k warehouse Currently €152k active, €82k warehouse
7) Have you kept up the full repayments on the active part? Yes
8) Has your lender reviewed the split - if so have they moved any of the warehouse to the active Yes, Pepper reviewed 2021 and 2020. No change.
9) Have your finances improved e.g. Have you built up savings? Could you afford to pay more? Yes, yes.
10) Have you made any overpayments? Did the bank set them off against the active part or the warehoused part? No, no.

What are your plans?

11) Are you concerned about the warehoused balance when the mortgage term ends? Yes
12) If you are overpaying the active part, do you intend to pay down the warehouse early? n/a
13) Are you concerned about your credit record? Do you have any plans to borrow for a car or to get a top-up mortgage or to trade up? Recently borrowed from the credit union for house extension with no issue.

If you have exited the split mortgage or traded up?

Why did you exit the split?
Tell us about your experience generally e.g. was the existence of a split mortgage a barrier to trading up? No plans to trade up, like the location and neighbours etc. but needed to extend. Borrowed from the CU and overpaying this loan to clear as quickly as possible.

Rough plan was to clear CU loan, take back warehouse mortgage to pay full and switch to another provider for better rate. Getting the impression from reading here that another bank will be unlikely to take us on so perhaps leave the warehouse and save the balance instead? Or overpay active mortgage if Pepper agree? Grateful for any advice.

Can you overpay on option 1 should you have the money ? I think what they're doing is extending the term to make it look like you're paying less a month but over the term it will cost more on interest. For context what age are you(s) ? I think you're in your 40s and 50s. If you can pay the extra still the term won't matter but that is a case of whether you can afford to pay 2% more on the active than you were. That I'd think will cost you in the region of max 250 a month extra for the first few years. Either way I'd keep the WH money there.

We can overpay on both options. They told me the extended term doesn't really matter because when the CU loan is gone we can overpay and clear earlier anyway, which I get.

Property value is approx. €320k.

I have to say I love the idea of paying the full mortgage and moving the warehouse over, just for our own heads. Just don't know if it makes sense from a financial point of view.

Thanks.

Clearly, the Credit Union should not have given you a loan while you had a non-performing loan with a vulture fund.

"You needed to extend" but you couldn't afford it.

As they are variable rates, it's impossible to answer the question. Pepper could double any rate tomorrow and neither the Central Bank nor the government cares about it.

On a simple level,
€143k @ 6.5% = €9,200 interest a year
while
€225k @ 4.5% = €10,000 interest a year.

So overall, you are better off with the warehouse and you should stick with that.

Ask Pepper if they can give you a fixed rate of 3% on the full amount.

But if I were Pepper, I would have very little sympathy for a customer who had a non-performing loan and went out and borrowed more from another lender.

Brendan

Similarly pepper extended my mortgage by 4 years last week they wudnt reduce the rate of 8.5percent so they brought my repayments down a bit but they still charging 8.5 percent

7) Have you kept up the full repayments on the active part? Yes
I note that the active part of the loan was paid up to date and whilst CU are obliged to assess it is the ability to repay is key.
Clearly, the Credit Union should not have given you a loan while you had a non-performing loan with a vulture fund.
That therefore is not correct.

Back