People's Postcode Lottery

paper-folder

Mrs. P-F got an unsolicited e-mail today from People's Postcode Lottery entitled 'Confirmation of your Subscription'. It's addressed to her by her first name, and tells her that her on-going subscription (£10 per month) will start on April 27th. She is confident she hasn't signed up for any lottery recently! There is a lottery running in the UK trading under this name.

It quotes various reference numbers, e.g. player number, direct debit reference and service user number, making it look very official. The logos etc match with the official website. It also quotes the last four digits of an account number and the last two of a sort code. We cannot match any of these to her bank accounts and there is no reference to which bank, or to IBAN or BIC's.

The postcode she has been allocated is somewhere in Nottingham - it's supposed to be based on your actual post-code, that along with the bank details seem to be the only obvious errors in the email. All the links and phone numbers quoted are the same as those on the legitimate People's Postcode Lottery website. It even helpfully says that only postcodes in England, Wales and Scotland can play, pity they didn't figure out that we're on the opposite side of the Irish Sea.

Has anyone else on AAM got one of these recently? Despite being confident that the mail isn't legitimate, I'm still trying to figure out where the scam is. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Hello,

Thankfully have not received one and I hope that I don't, as I get more than enough junk mail already.

I'd throw it in the bin, not even spend any time thinking about it if I were you :)

Most likely someone genuinely signing-up gave the wrong email address.

Most likely someone genuinely signing-up gave the wrong email address.
Thanks Leo, I hadn't thought of that! Or there was a typo when the Lottery were setting up the account. The e-mail address isn't anything that complicated, so a slip of the finger could lead to a mail going astray.

It was a bit of a shock when someone says they are going to deduct £10 per month and you aren't expecting it. And with all the phishing scams going on, I thought that it was a variation on it somehow. Maybe I'm just too suspicious? I'll post again if there are any developments, like winning a million!

Back