People turning to avoid Garda checkpoints

Super critical

With all the checkpoints on the roads these days it's becoming obvious that a lot of people turn around to avoid checkpoints. Surprisingly I have yet to see any of these people followed? I see it mentioned on twitter occasionally that they catch a person who turned but from what I see they don't follow them.

Only yesterday I was in a line of traffic coming up to a check point and two cars turned around and one of them for sure was in full view of the Gardai?

Can they take down the reg and follow up again or if they are not followed are they getting away with what ever they avoided the checkpoint for? Also not that I would go this far but would reporting someone for turning actually get looked into or would it be too hard to prove anything?

With all the checkpoints on the roads these days it's becoming obvious that a lot of people turn around to avoid checkpoints. Surprisingly I have yet to see any of these people followed? I see it mentioned on twitter occasionally that they catch a person who turned but from what I see they don't follow them.

Only yesterday I was in a line of traffic coming up to a check point and two cars turned around and one of them for sure was in full view of the Gardai?

Can they take down the reg and follow up again or if they are not followed are they getting away with what ever they avoided the checkpoint for? Also not that I would go this far but would reporting someone for turning actually get looked into or would it be too hard to prove anything?
You didn't see that girl in Ballymum yesterday evening then? I think all the cop cars in Dublin were following her! :)

You didn't see that girl in Ballymum yesterday evening then? I think all the cop cars in Dublin were following her! :)
No., I'm not based in Dublin so that wasn't one I saw, good to hear though. I'm on the road very little over the last few months like everyone and I reckon I've seen 7 or 8 people turn from I think 6 different check points over the last while and no sign of the guards to follow, I was actually going away from the check point on a few occasions and the person turned back the direction I was going so in these cases I know for sure there was no following as they would have had to overtake me.

My feeling is that like many offences if people aren't followed and stopped then they will get away with it even if they managed to get a reg, I'm lead to believe that even the ANPR can't issue fines and people have to be stopped never mind a guard writing down a reg. Also I've a feeling people turning aren't doing it for being outside their 5km as it would be foolish since its so unlikely to be fined.

Sure if they turn and go home then the checkpoint has achieved it's aim assuming it's aim is not simply to generate fines but to deter unnecessary journeys.

I don't turn as such but I certainly avoid the spots where I know they are, I know for example there is one in Tarbert always so I turn off and avoid it and come out in Glin, I'm avoiding nothing really as I have a legitimate reason but I just find it a stress I can do without, having to roll down the window and explain myself just makes me nervous! It was kind of pointless really as I met two more after that but had no difficulties with them, I just don't like it and find it a stress I would rather avoid.

Coming home this evening from another essential journey I turned at Abbeyfeale and took a different route to avoid the Castleisland checkpoint. Not everyone is up to divilment.

Surprisingly I have yet to see any of these people followed?
Isn't it ironic, the juxtaposition of the user-name and the non-questions punctuated by question marks? What Alanis Morisette sang about wasn't the least bit ironic, but she got her question marks right.

I'm on the road very little over the last few months like everyone and I reckon I've seen 7 or 8 people turn from I think 6 different check points over the last while and no sign of the guards to follow,

Wow! Very little????? 6 checkpoints???

When I read that I infer you’re on the road quite a bit.

Wow! Very little????? 6 checkpoints???

When I read that I infer you’re on the road quite a bit.

In normal times maybe but at the moment check points are everywhere so just trips to the shop etc a few times per week has a high chance of coming across one.

To the other poster above, some maybe turning because of 5km rules but I personally doubt it and feel it’s likely no insurance, learner driver etc that they are turning for. To my other question since they are not followed does anyone know if the gardai managed to get their reg plate can they be followed up on or is it still a case of having to be stopped?

To the other poster above, some maybe turning because of 5km rules but I personally doubt it and feel it’s likely no insurance, learner driver etc that they are turning for. To my other question since they are not followed does anyone know if the gardai managed to get their reg plate can they be followed up on or is it still a case of having to be stopped?

I actively try to avoid them if I can. They're all over Dublin City centre - I have to go through two to do the weekly shop so that's 4 interactions. If you have to drive along the quays there can be 2 to 3 checkpoints either side of the river. Most of the Guards manning them are fine but there's a few who like to try rattle you and it's a bit unnerving even when your journey is permitted.

The Guards can't do anything with their registration. These are not roads policing checkpoints so it would be a bit counterproductive for them to initiate pursuit for each and every car that is turning around.

I actively try to avoid them if I can. They're all over Dublin City centre - I have to go through two to do the weekly shop so that's 4 interactions. If you have to drive along the quays there can be 2 to 3 checkpoints either side of the river. Most of the Guards manning them are fine but there's a few who like to try rattle you and it's a bit unnerving even when your journey is permitted.

In fairness I wouldn't see taking different routes to avoid potential checkpoints being the same as turning in the queue for one.

The Guards can't do anything with their registration. These are not roads policing checkpoints so it would be a bit counterproductive for them to initiate pursuit for each and every car that is turning around.

The second part makes sense I guess but the first part is as I expected but something I could never understand? Why is it they can’t check a reg plate, and if there is say no tax send out a fine in the post or at least question the person on why they turned around? They are allowed to follow up on a reg reported for a crash or dangerous driving so why not the more common offences?

The second part makes sense I guess but the first part is as I expected but something I could never understand? Why is it they can’t check a reg plate, and if there is say no tax send out a fine in the post or at least question the person on why they turned around? They are allowed to follow up on a reg reported for a crash or dangerous driving so why not the more common offences?

OK, can't is probably wrong in the strictest legal sense. I'm sure the can but they won't. There's so many variables and things that would result in a massive waste of their time that they wouldn't bother. How do they prove who was driving the car? Is a person really going to admit to an offence? Beyond being a roads policing exercise in identifying untaxed cars it's a waste of time. These are public health checkpoints so the Guards are not interested in identifying untaxed vehicles.

Unlike temporary checkpoints to check tax/insurance or administer roadside alcohol/drugs screening these checkpoints are in-situ for hours on end every day with many times the volume of vehicles stopped. I'd say the number of cars turning around is significant enough and most of it is likely just people making journeys without reasonable excuse. I'd imagine if someone turned at high speed or did something very suspicious that they might pursue but turning around from a COVID checkpoint is not viewed the same as turning from a checkpoint administering roadside breathalysers.

These are public health checkpoints so the Guards are not interested in identifying untaxed vehicles.
Are all checkpoints at the moment primarily public health checkpoints? I mean I've been waved though some like normal checkpoints were the Gardai appear to just be looking at the cars as they pass which would tell me they are checking tax etc?

Are all checkpoints at the moment primarily public health checkpoints? I mean I've been waved though some like normal checkpoints were the Gardai appear to just be looking at the cars as they pass which would tell me they are checking tax etc?

I would imagine 99% of them are COVID checkpoints, yes. When has there ever been dozens of checkpoints across the city at the one time? They don't stop every car all day long. There has been one on the Chapelizod bypass most days for the entire day since the current Level 5 restrictions took effect but they check cars intermittently. I've been stopped about half of the time and waved through the other half when going through it to do the weekly shop.

Checkpoint on my street some days recently 2pm to 1am due to gang activity. Saw a driver and passenger swap over when they saw checkpoint ahead, only about 50m way. AGS were occupied with other cars and didn’t see this. From my upstairs window I saw the front seat passenger got out and went to back of car. I thought he was going to open the boot but he hopped in the drivers seat as the driver slid over to the passenger seat. They got away with it but it’s a pity that uninsured drivers or banned drivers get away with these things.

2 birds with 1 stone comes to mind

Back