People should not quote the preceding post in their reply!

Discussion in 'How to use Askaboutmoney' started by mathepac, Jan 18, 2017.

1. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017
    I don't believe I've ever used Multiquote. What about two options instead of three

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017
  2. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

3. CiaranT

CiaranT .

I have changed the code and renamed the links.

Hopefully, I have not broken anything else in the process! Any issues, let me know.

mathepac likes this.
  4. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Thanks again for the brilliant suggestion. Much better than what I had come up with.

Ciarán

That is great thanks. You can go back to bed now.

By the way, this is how the Multiquote button works. I have clicked on multiquote on dub_nerd's post and on Ciarán's post.

Brendan

mathepac likes this.
  5. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

Well that explains a lot :D

Otherwise I am sorry but I have completely failed to understand this thread.

Let me know when things settle down again and i will see how to work it.

Also in reply to the substance of the OP. Quoting generates an alert to the poster being quoted, this is a good thing.

6. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

If you participate in a thread, you can get alerts without having a poster quote your post. Have a look at 'Alert Preferences' under 'Alerts' top right-hand side of window.

Knowing how the user-preferences in the forum work can help with the usefulness of participation in discussions such as this one. I think it's wonderful that the owner and tech support staff let us have such a big say in how stuff works in here.

Changes are superb achieving all of my initial suggestions thrust and more. Thanks @Brendan Burgess and @CiaranT .

7. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

p.s. and as a thread creator, you can also set options at the time you post to receive email notifications of new posts etc.

8. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

Thanks for that tip I will check that out.

I absolutely agree.

However I still don't understand the changes that have been made. I often quote previous posts in part when I want to respond to a particular bit. I hope that is still possible, I don't think that is the practice you were objecting to initially.

9. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    No it was the non-selective slavish posting of entire threads I was having trouble with, particularly where the immediately preceding post reappeared in full again. The changes make no difference to multiquotes or selective quotes and I think the new labels help make the actions of the various buttons clearer.

EDIT p.s. This is an example of what I find objectionable. This example is not an accident or due to a lack of clarity in the functions of the buttons. This post is exactly what I was hoping to avoid.Wrongly/unknowingly pursued by Utility-provider resulting in conviction

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  10. AlbacoreA

AlbacoreA Frequent Poster

Its really up to mods to warn users of unacceptable quoting. Editing it to be concise is what I do.

11. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

But in a long thread with multiple posts, it's fine to quote a full post if it's only two lines?

I prefer that to the @elacto

Brendan

12. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Frequent Poster

Sometimes when you're composing a reply to sit directly below the post you're replying to, someone else replies in the interim and then your post makes no sense. I find the grouping of a quoted post and reply easier to follow personally.

My major beef is with a post being quoted in its entirety. Now that more people know about the "copy and quote" function, things should improve immeasurably.

13. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

In a long, busy thread I thinks it's fine to selectively quote the post(s) you're responding to avoid confusion like the "what are you talking about?" or "please try to keep up" comments when others can't see your post in context.

I don't understand your @elacto comment

14. PaddyBloggit

PaddyBloggit Frequent Poster

Instead of actually quoting, the poster uses @ to mean in answer to e.g. @elcato .. in answer to elcato.

Like Brendan, I'd prefer to see the poster actually quoting what they are replying to.