People based in the Republic of Ireland holding "old" £ sterling notes will probably need to convert them into Euro before 30 September 2022!

It's getting near the end date and I just remembered we have £80 in old notes - no more sterling at all. We missed our chance in July and might not be in the Uk again for 2+ years. So I'd like to change it before then.

What's the position with posting notes to a UK bank - is it safe? I've an account there, or Bank of England. I'd say they'll accept them but it seems risky. Obviously then I'd have no cash when going over. I'd rather change them here so posting's a last resort.

I have a paper 20 GBP note.

I will be in London on Friday 11 November, arriving into city about 10am.

Will the note be accepted in a supermarket automated till?

Or in a TFL ticket machine?

Or in a pub?

I have a paper 20 GBP note.

I will be in London on Friday 11 November, arriving into city about 10am.

Will the note be accepted in a supermarket automated till?

Or in a TFL ticket machine?

Or in a pub?
In all likelihood, no to all three. Some High Street banks will continue to accept old notes when lodged to an account with them, but they won't offer straight note swaps.

Thanks.

I was hoping for better news.

I may have to visit a post office.

Post Office branches that will exchange withdrawn notes​

London

Thanks.

I was hoping for better news.

I may have to visit a post office.

Post Office branches that will exchange withdrawn notes​

London

As I said in a previous post, there will be no issue simply calling into a bank branch and exchanging small values of notes.

September 30th is the last day for general use in retail stores and regular transactions.

After this you simply walk into a bank and, assuming it's a bank with tellers, the notes will be exchanged

They'll probably do this for a couple of years or more.

I certainly had no issue in Coventry back in early 2020 with £5 & £10 notes which were withdrawn in 2017.

Ok, sorry, thanks.

I presumed you'd need an account.

Thanks for the info.

I will be coming off the Stansted Express into Liverpoool Street station, plenty of big banks around there!!

I see NatWest have a branch at 216 Bishopgate, near the railway station.

Just to be aware that if you intend to use a foreign currency exchange to change any old sterling notes, some of them have a cut off. For example, one of them in Dublin will no longer accept the £20 and £50 notes after close of business today (19th September).

Back