Pension Saving Targets by Age

I think sometimes people can overestimate their income requirement in retirement. When you take out the big ticket items like mortgage repayment, saving, and retirement provision itself, a €2m fund might be too much for a lot of people. I did an exercise relatively recently and worked-out that €60k a year net of tax in today’s terms would be ‘adequate’ for us. 2 x State Pension is €26k, so around €40k extra a year in today’s terms would do the job.

In today’s terms, €5k a month net landing into your account with no debt and no particular requirement to plan for the future is actually a lot of money.
Agree but 40k is still a substantial amount of pension provision to have in place for many people

Agree but 40k is still a substantial amount of pension provision to have in place for many people
I agree, but the key thing is that it's almost impossible to come up with any one size fits all rule of thumb in this context. Whether it be an actual € amount, a multiple/fraction of final income, or anything else.

I agree, but the key thing is that it's almost impossible to come up with any one size fits all rule of thumb in this context. Whether it be an actual € amount, a multiple/fraction of final income, or anything else.
Dont think anyones trying to come up with a one size fits all rule of thumb

Would that be net Gordon, would there not be some tax due on that? Maybe iv missed something.
When I said “€5k a month net”, was it unclear whether I meant gross or net, is that the question?

There’d be around €6k of tax due on the two State Pensions and the €40k.

Last edited:
In today’s terms, €5k a month net landing into your account with no debt and no particular requirement to plan for the future is actually a lot of money.
I agree.

My parents (late 60s) have probably a little more than that jointly in retirement with 2x public service pensions. They struggle to spend it all even with three foreign holidays a year and pretty active lives.

I agree.

My parents (late 60s) have probably a little more than that jointly in retirement with 2x public service pensions. They struggle to spend it all even with three foreign holidays a year and pretty active lives.
One thing I noticed when my mother passed away was the financial impact on my father.. Fixed costs remained the same more or less (think heating, house costs, car and food etc) but a major hit to household finances with loss of state pension and part time work.

Back