Pension Levy but no Pension?

Yes but salaries in the Private sector are not what they used to be :)
Or to be more specific - salaries in some parts of the private sector are not what they used to be. Salaries in other parts of the private sector are doing quite nicely, and they are keeping their heads down and hoping to hell that no-one notices....

Shirley, Dept of Health clarified even those not in a pension scheme (once they are eligible to join) have to pay levy. Basically once the pension is available or a payment in lieu (non pensionable gratuity) in the organisation they have to pay. The only exceptions are those purely employed on callout and not in receipt of basic hours or those paid via sessions instead of basic pay.

Associate Lecturers (ie. Part Time) in the Institute of Technologies are being told that if they work elsewhere other than the Public Sector, they do not have to pay the levy.

If they do work elsewhere in the Public Sector, they have to pay even if they are not part of the Institute Pension Scheme.

Question 12 of the FAQ section, DOF booklet.

Hi All,
I thought that I'd resurrect this thread as it is still relevant, and that I just got my first deduction from my pay slip. I'm a part time adult eduction teacher with the VEC and am not entitled to a pension.
The faq from the DOF link here http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/other/2009/faqlevy4mar09.pdf , states that

Who is subject to the pension-related deduction under
section 2 of the Act?
The criteria for being covered by the pension-related
deduction are that one is a public servant (defined in Section
1 of the Act) and
a) is a member of a public service pension scheme (defined
in section 1 of the Act) or
b) is entitled to a benefit under such a scheme or
c) receives a payment in lieu of membership in such a
scheme.
In outline terms, the deduction applies to public servants who
are employed by or hold an office or position in a public
service body and are members of a public service pension
scheme.
I don't believe that I'm getting payment in lieu, but could anyone in the same situation clarify this? The accounts department just say they are doing what they are told!

Edit: New Info - apparently I'm getting a gratuity when I leave, first anyone here (in work) has ever heard of it, no information forthcoming about amount etc.

I know of an agency who sought clarification on whether they had to pay the pension levy - they have their own pension scheme and are not part of the public service one, and they were told that it did apply.

Most affected public sector bodies including VECs have been told to apply it and then allow people to argue the case afterwards. Part time adult educators in the VEC have been told that as the full-time equivalent post includes a pension, the part-time rates are calculated to include a pension allowance to compensate. Therefore the pension levy applies to part-timers, even in cases where there are no full-time equivalent posts! I believe SIPTU are taking a case on this at the moment.

Back