Pension Italian Tax Refund

Colm106

Hi,

I have been drawing the widowers pension for 5 years following the death of my italian wife. I am an Irish citizen living in Ireland. The pension goes through Citibank. I've noticed on my statements that I have been deducted tax twice both Italian tax and Irish tax. How would I go about reclaiming this Italian tax as I should not be liable for the same tax twice especially when I am resident full time in Ireland and an Irish citizen. Appreciate any suggestions as I have found it difficult to source this information.
Best Regards,
Marie

First you need to put together some paperworks to prove that you are tax resident in Ireland which I don't think it will be too difficult. Ask the Irish Revenue to send you a official letter that states that you are tax resident in Ireland then I think you would probably need to have a certified company translate the documents (check with the italian embassy for that, I think they have a list of companies that do official translations), I'm not sure if you need that or not though. You need then to go to the office where the pension is drawn, with that document maybe call them or contact them first,

I'm not allowed to post URLs for some strange reasons, however there is a module on the italian Pension Board website (INPS) that once filled out and sent or delivered, should relieve you from the Italian tax according to the treaty between Italy-Ireland, against the double taxation, so you will only pay the tax in Ireland

Search in Google , download and send is the document titled (in english), it is a PDF file look for the INPS website on the search list

" Application form to claim the exemption from the italian pay as you earn as applied to pensions and/or other similar remunerations. [ CI531 - EP-I/1 ingl ] "

Good luck, it will take a while to tackle the italian bureaucracy but it will work out in the end.

Back