Pension entitlements

CKT

My father passed away 3 years ago and my mother passed away 2 years before that, my father was paying into a pension and also had avc. Our solicitor told us we were entitled to the avc's as inheritance but nothing from the pension. Is this correct?

My parents estate has been settled a whiled now.

I'm assuming your father died before retirement age.

It depends on the type of pension scheme your father was paying into. Can you ask his former employer for a copy of the pension scheme booklet?

Yes my father died before retirement age. I did ask solicitor at the time, he said no, but he also didnt know what avc were either.

I think I have a copy of his pension scheme booklet at home

If he died "in service" before retiring, there would normally be some Life Assurance attached to the Pension Plan. Check the schem booklet. But I would have expected that the Scheme Trustees would have clarified that at the time.
In relation to AVC's, these are refundable on death prior to retirement.

If your father died 3 years ago I am amazed that the Pension Scheme issues were not dealt with at the time. Are you sure nothing aws paid out?

Conan

CKT

If your father died while in employment then presumably his HR manager would have helped deal with his entitlements from the scheme. It sounds like he died after leaving the company, if this is the case then it is likely that he is entitled to benefits under the scheme but that no one involved in the scheme is aware he is dead. You should contact the HR department in the company he worked for or alternatively contact the advisors listed in the pension booklet.

Back