Pension AVC

alpine

I am a PAYE employee participating in a defined contribution scheme and maxed out my AVC contribiution for 2008 (based on basic salary).

I also had some non PAYE additional income for 2008 (preliminary tax paid). I am about to file a Form 11 via ROS but was wondering if I could also make an pension contribution based on this? If so, would it be 20% and would that be on the Gross or Net income?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Assuming that your PAYE salary is not close to the ceiling for 2008 of €275,239 you can contribute 20% of your non PAYE additional income to a separate PRSA or Personal Pension (RAC). I'm also assuming that you're in your 30s, hence 20% and that the non-PAYE income in question is earned income as distinct from investment (e.g. rents, dividends). It's 20% of the gross amount, i.e. the amount on which you'd be calculating the tax. You have until 16th November as you're using ROS.

Liam D. Ferguson

As long as the non-PAYE income is not investment or rental income (can't pension) ?

As long as the non-PAYE income is not investment or rental income (can't pension) ?

That's right - see my original reply - "I'm also assuming that you're in your 30s, hence 20% and that the non-PAYE income in question is earned income as distinct from investment (e.g. rents, dividends)."

Investment income is not pensionable.

Back