Penalty points or not?

Karmomster123

Just driving home from work, I was pulled over for speeding (my fault, I know), the garda was really nice, asked me for my license which was at home, he asked was I just coming from work (I was wearing a hi-vis) I told him I was and where I worked, it didn't seem to bother him that I didn't have my license he just said "do me a favour and slow down" to which I replied "I'm very sorry I lost the run of myself there" he just said again to slow down and have a good night. He didn't even ask my name and was friendly. Should I expect penalty points and a fine in the post or was he genuinely nice? I hate the unknown.

Unlikely if that's the extent of what the Garda said, they'd usually tell you if they were issuing a fixed notice.

Thank you Leo, I'm hoping nothing will come of it, I didn't think they could/would without taking any details from me, apparently that is not the case though, many seem to have gotten "surprise penalty points" weeks later I guess waiting it out will have to do

apparently that is not the case though, many seem to have gotten "surprise penalty points"

Agree - might come in the post weeks / months later, but at least they won't be a "surprise" ... Did he take your name at the time, or ask you if you were the owner of the car etc?

It's just a waiting game now ...

If he took the reg he probably has all the info he needs. But sounds to me you were just let off with a warning

Last edited:
No he didn't ask my name, or anything about the car, when I said i left my license at home he just asked if I was just finished work, so from my perspective he didn't know anything about me, I know he get all my info from my plates though.

I replied "I'm very sorry I lost the run of myself there"
A friend of mine swears by "I'm very sorry, an oversight on my part". I'd be surprised if you heard about it again but either way there's no point thinking on it.

michaelm I was pathetically apologetic Either way I can't change the outcome now, thanks everyone for the replies