Penalty points or not?

Karmomster123

Just driving home from work, I was pulled over for speeding (my fault, I know), the garda was really nice, asked me for my license which was at home, he asked was I just coming from work (I was wearing a hi-vis) I told him I was and where I worked, it didn't seem to bother him that I didn't have my license he just said "do me a favour and slow down" to which I replied "I'm very sorry I lost the run of myself there" he just said again to slow down and have a good night. He didn't even ask my name and was friendly. Should I expect penalty points and a fine in the post or was he genuinely nice? I hate the unknown.

Unlikely if that's the extent of what the Garda said, they'd usually tell you if they were issuing a fixed notice.

Thank you Leo, I'm hoping nothing will come of it, I didn't think they could/would without taking any details from me, apparently that is not the case though, many seem to have gotten "surprise penalty points" weeks later :D I guess waiting it out will have to do :)

apparently that is not the case though, many seem to have gotten "surprise penalty points"

Agree - might come in the post weeks / months later, but at least they won't be a "surprise" ;) ... Did he take your name at the time, or ask you if you were the owner of the car etc?

It's just a waiting game now ...

If he took the reg he probably has all the info he needs. But sounds to me you were just let off with a warning :)

Last edited:
No he didn't ask my name, or anything about the car, when I said i left my license at home he just asked if I was just finished work, so from my perspective he didn't know anything about me, I know he get all my info from my plates though.

michaelm I was pathetically apologetic :D Either way I can't change the outcome now, thanks everyone for the replies :)

Back