Peeling Paint - how to fix?

EllaC

Due to a badly sealed bath screen - paint on the wall next to it started to peel and crack. The screen was resealed and no longer leaks. However despite several sandings and repaintings the wall in that area continues to peel.

Any recommendations on how I could fix this for once and for all would be much appreciated.

Give it one more sanding and then bond it.You can buy this from any DIY store,it should seal the paint completely.

Try Dulux Sealapore which is a stain sealer and general primer for porous surfaces like plaster- should do the trick.

Any idea where I'd get Dulux Sealapore? So far I've tried Atlantic, Homebase & Woodies and none of them stock it.

Try a "proper" hardware or builder's merchant like Chadwicks, Brooks Thomas or any of the Homevalue stores. I've bought Sealapore Alkali Resisting Primer at my local Homevalue Hardware Store. Any good paint shop should stock it.

Carpenter said:
Try Dulux Sealapore which is a stain sealer and general primer for porous surfaces like plaster- should do the trick.

Would this product work for the ceiling above the shower? Ventilation is not the best in the area and paint peels continuously. I asked for a solution in my local hardware store and just got anecdotal stories about how they all had the same problem!

Thanks

Should do it, yes. An extractor fan is good too (or open a window when you're in the shower).

snatch said:
Would this product work for the ceiling above the shower? Ventilation is not the best in the area and paint peels continuously. I asked for a solution in my local hardware store and just got anecdotal stories about how they all had the same problem!

Thanks

It will help, but as suggested adequate ventilation and heating is the key where condensation is concerned.

We have an on-going problem with an internal bathroom (no window) and paint peeling off the ceiling.

I sanded it and painted myself - about 2 months later the paint was peeling off again.

We got a professional painter in who charged €100 just to paint the ceiling in a small bathroom. He used Polybond and now a few months later, it's peeling off again.

I asked in the local hardware store (Heitons) what I could do and they recommended Zinsser Perma White. They don't stock it, so I've tried Woodies, Atlantic and B & Q - they don't have it either.

Does anyone know where this product is available?

If I can't get it, I will try the Sealapore Alkali Resisting Primer Carpenter suggests - if I can find it.

The only other thing I can think of is to put polystyrene tiles on the ceiling. I know people used to use these in the 70's/80's - are they still available and would they do the job?

There are already 2 extractor fans in the bathroom - one directly over the bath/shower area.

Back