PCWorld - good value ?

zag

I never thought I would find myself thinking that PCWorld would be anything like good value, but there was an ad in the paper over the weekend for a Packard Bell 2416 with a Core 2 Quad 8200 processor, a 20" monitor, 4g RAM and a 640GB HD for €699.

From what I can tell this actually appears to be good value compared to other machines I have been looking at. I've looked for reviews of this model online but can't find anything useful yet.

My mother bought a Packard Bell from them a few months back and after I priced up a similar spec with Dell, she saved money by buying from PCWorld.

Apart from the normal suggestions about queues and delays for after-sales service does anyone know of better value out there ? I need a reasonably beefy machine for high-def (AVCHD) video editing.

Thanks,

z

No specific comments on PC World, but I would be cautious of Packard Bell.

They have regularly come with a very low rating in the PC Pro reliability and 'Buy Again ?' surveys. See here (if it asks for a password, press cancel).

Speaking from experience, Packard Bell machines are not reliable, more trouble than they're worth.

Agreed, avoid them like the plague. Crapard Bell is what some people called them.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the situation ref Packard Bell might have changed since I was last familar with buying PCs. I guess not.

Anyone got anyother suggestions for good value high performance machines ? Who else is there out there apart from Dell supplying good value and customisation ?

z

Are Packard Bell and HP (Hewlitt Packard) the same?

(just bought a HP computer with free printer from PC World yesterday for €699)

Should I be worried? It's still in the box - xmas gift for the family. We've always been Dell, and I went in there to check out the Studio Hybrid from Dell, but this HP machine had higher spec, free printer, and looks so much more solid. Also wireless keyboard and mouse.

Nice machine. I have the add pinned at home hoping to buy it soon. What I can't understand is why is that same machine (HP Slimline PC) priced for 572 euro on the PC World UK website?

HP are very reliable (same now as Compaq) and no need to worry as Bond said. Have one myself and no problems, even if you do get an issue they have great online live support service.

i got a PB from PC World almost two years ago.

It's a pile of poo.

I won't buy off them again.

Have always bought online from Dell (4 times now) and saw the hybrid ad in the paper as Zag did, checked it out online, and PC World came out cheaper so decided to go there. However, once there loved the slimline HP model, higher spec, cordless mouse and keyboard, free printer, couldn't pass it for the same price €699.

However, before we paid, sales guy did his best to get us to buy guarantee for €199 3year or €399 5 year. Surely cheaper to replace in a few years to a new machine? Our last Dell cost double this!

If the extended warranty is €199 for 3 years, then there's no way it would be €399 for 5 years.

Back