PCL Collection DVD player from Supervalu

C

cullenswood

I recently acquired a PCL Collection DVD player from Super Valu for €59. Great value. I was just wondering if anyone knew who these PCL Collection crowd are or if they trade under a different name. I have been trying to find info about them on the net but to no avail.
The main reason for this is that I want to try and get a hack so I can make the player a region free player.

Region Free Black Diamond DVDs are only €69 nowadays

and you dont have to spend about €1000 in Supervalu in 2 months to qualify.

Maplin have a gizmo which does the usual formats and DIVX as well for under €100

"Maplin have a gizmo which does the usual formats and DIVX as well for under €100"

What does the above mean in plain dumb brunette/grey haired english :rolleyes

Thanks for the replies, but I tried some of those region free hack sites, but there is no sign of a PCL Collection player anywhere. In fact I cant even find any site that even sells a PCL Collection player, and there is no address or contact information with the player or on the box!!

Has anybody else ever heard of them???

Hi cullenswood,

I can't find any mention of PCL Collection DVD Player either on Google. As far as I'm concerned if Google can't find some reference to it it doesn't exist!! You must be lying to us :p

I suggest ringing Supervalu customer service and asking for the manufacturer details for this player. They'll probably hum and haw but they should eventually get back to you. I don't know and I'm only guessing here but it might be a different brand and Supervalu just get them to put this label on it. It's not unheard of in other retail industries.

Yeah I think I'll contact Supervalu and check it out with them. Will let you know what they say. I too was of the opinion that if Google couldn't find it, it doesn't exist, so unless I am in a permanent dream and never actually bought the player I'm not sure what is going on!!!

"Maplin have a gizmo which does the usual formats and DIVX as well for under €100"

What does the above mean in plain dumb brunette/grey haired english

If you're one of the broadband crowd who is into downloading movies, you'll know that most of these films are encoded as Divx or Xvid files. If you have a regular DVD player and want to watch these films, you need to (or at least the computer needs to) go through the arduous procedure know as encoding where the AVI is converted into a DVD format for playback.

With a Divx-compatible player, you can just copy the AVI onto the DVD disk and stick it in your player. With most movies coming in at 700MB (with varying quality) it means you could store up to 10 movies on a single (dual-layer) DVD. That's the other advantage. You could also probably do this to back up any DVDs you have.

Back