PC World problems

P

pssed off

I bought a laptop in PC World in June 2001. I took out the 3 year extended warranty thing at the time, which will expire this year.

Anyway...I've had to send it back for repair a total of three times since. The first time was in 2002, and again last year. The laptop ceased working again a few weeks ago (there was no power...basically it was dead) so I left it in for repair on January 19th last. I got it back today, and it is still the same i.e. not working, plus the plastic panel on the side of the CD drive was broken off. Hence pissed off. According to the "repair report" the system board was replaced.

So basically I'm looking for advice on where I stand legally. Am I entitled to a refund, or a replacement? The warranty explicitly states that if they can't repair it, or if it takes longer than 6 weeks, they will replace it. I suspect that it may have been dropped during transit, but really I don't care how it happened.

Any advice appreciated.

pc world

Are PC World not closing down? Financial difficulties - saw it in last week's Indo.

Your extended warranty was no doubt expensive and probably bad value - even worse value if you don't avail of it now.

You're entitled to a working laptop of the spec that you bought in 2001. You've given them reasonable opportunity to make good the situation so you're in a strong position to demand a new one (of the same spec or better at no extra cost). If they don't see it that way, go the small claims court route.

And by the way, don't allow them to argue that it's the responsibility of the manufacturer - as the seller it's up to them and them only.
Best of Luck

Re: ..

What make is it? I bought a Toshiba January last year in PC World Liffey Valley. It broke down in Februrary (my, now abandoned, son :) ) but because of how Toshiba do it, you can take it to an affiliated repair centre. I picked BMS down in the Mulcahy Kean Ind Est just off Walkinstown roundaroundaroudabout. Job done in a couple of days and no problems since.

If possible, deal directly with the manufacturer. But if it's a PC World warranty you're stuck with them. If it's still giving you jip cut your losses, sell it on and upgrade.

The difficulty in agreeing to deal directly with the manufacturer is that you're effectively absolving the retailer of any responsibility. Once this has been done, it makes it difficult to re-engage the retailer if your dealings with the manufacturer prove unsuccessful.

If taking this route, I would make claer that you were doing so on the understanding that it reamined the retailers responsibility.

From my experience, PC World and their sister retailers (Curry's, etc) will do all in their power to absolve themselves of responsibility. Tread carefully.

pc world

Techman

is Pc world not part of Dixons? Also they are about to open a retail store in Dundalk in the retail park in competition with Harvey Norman. Its the 3rd biggest outlet in the park after HN and Athlantic Homecare.

Re: pc world

That's correct.
PC World, Dixon's and Curry's are all part of the same Group.

I bought a laptop in PC World in June 2001. I took out the 3 year extended warranty thing at the time, which will expire this year.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Anyway...I've had to send it back for repair a total of three times since. The first time was in 2002, and again last year. The laptop ceased working again a few weeks ago (there was no power...basically it was dead) so I left it in for repair on January 19th last. I got it back today, and it is still the same i.e. not working, plus the plastic panel on the side of the CD drive was broken off. Hence pissed off. According to the "repair report" the system board was replaced.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->So basically I'm looking for advice on where I stand legally. Am I entitled to a refund, or a replacement? The warranty explicitly states that if they can't repair it, or if it takes longer than 6 weeks, they will replace it. I suspect that it may have been dropped during transit, but really I don't care how it happened.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Any advice appreciated.

Are PC World not closing down? Financial difficulties - saw it in last week's Indo.

Sure you're not thinking of Compustore?

And if it is Compustore, it's just the 4 non franchised stores.

Back