PC slowed to a crawl.

D

Denis

My PC - Dell, 6 years old,Win 98,56k modem,eircom landline-has been acting up lately. It has taken me 15 minutes to access this page for instance and I have no guarantee that the computer won`t stall before I get to post-just tends to crawl and then freeze, particularly while on the web. But the slow down has also affected games,word etc on the computer.

Seems from my updated AVG virus scan that a few files have been affected by a Trojan horse. This has been quarantined and I have subsequently installed Norton Anti virus. Have reformatted and have also reinstalled windows 98 but with no performance improvement.

Any further suggestions for any DIY treatments before I hand it over to a techie?

Thanks in advance as I may not be able to thank you after!

I normally wipe my hard disk every year, the build up of registry files tends to slow the overall performance.

I make a back up of everything before I do it of course, and it's a great feeling having a much faster working pc after, like getting your car serviced!

"Thanks in advance as I may not be able to thank you after!"

If you can't thank us after, you also won't have anything to thank for!

how much room have you left on your hard drive ? If the drive is nearly full it will slow you down. Have you a partitioned drive which you could share the install on ?

Back