PC not recognizing ethernet port

Delber

Hi Guys

I was trying to install a wireless modem last night and my PC doesn't recognize the Ethernet port at the back of the PC. I went to the device manager and it's not listed. I put the Dell driver CD into the drive but still nothing. I am using a USB port for the "wired" modem.
What are my options to get the port to be recognized, or is it faulty.

I'm not to technical minded sorry

Thanks

You need a wireless adapter to connect your pc to the wireless modem, unless you are wiring it in then you would use the ethernet port in the pc. If its not picking it up go to the dell site and download drivers for the ethernet port, had a prob with a dell pc on re-install the drivers on the cd were incorrect, had to get them from the dell site and install.

What are my options to get the port to be recognized, or is it faulty.
Get the Dell Diagnostics for your PC from the Dell website or maybe a CD that came with the machine and run them to see what they report. In my experience these diagnostics are pretty good.

If it is a Dell laptop you may find that the ethernet nic is set to become disabled when the power lead is out or no ethernet cable is connected, this option can be changed in the control panel.
If it is a desktop, dell machines often dislike clean installs of new operating systems such as XP, quite often you will lose a couple of drivers for items such as the ethernet nic, you can get new drivers from the dell support website or the disks that came with your pc when it was new

Back