PayPal

jambr

I got caught up in a scam in the last couple of days. Just started to set up a small craft business and had put a few adds up on gumtree. Was delighted with my first order and made a special effort in packaging etc. A girl in Paris on a business trip wanted me to forward a present to her friend in Nigeria who is doing a few months nursing there.The sale was done through PayPal and all seemed ok. Also my first time using PayPal. Sent parcel registered and emailed code to the paypal account, but it wasnt a paypal account, it was fake. I got no money and the parcel couldnt be stopped. I copped it when I got home from posting the parcel to find I had two more orders from Nigeria. What I cannot understand is why they go to the bother for such small value items. I think the item I made was worth no more than €8.00 + €6.00 for postage.
Talked to post office and was told I wasn't the first the guards said more or less the same.
It was upsetting for me as it was my online order and has left me very disillusioned with internet selling.

Have you contacted Paypal and let them know about this scam and also ensure that nothing further happens to your account?

It was upsetting for me as it was my online order and has left me very disillusioned with internet selling.

I can imagine its disheartening, especially your first sale. However, don't lose heart as there are so many more honest people out there than scammers who will buy your product. I have gotten so many great deals online vs shops I would not like to hear people becoming disillusioned with selling online...keep the faith :)

or wait until the money is confirmed in your paypal account before posting.

Have been using paypal on a daily basis for 3 years and have never had a problem. I think you were just unlucky always wait until the funds are in your account before you post. Dont let this put you off

If you look at Ebay you will note that very many sellers refuse to post to Nigeria. Just treat this as a lesson learnt the hard way and just plough ahead. With reasonable precautions the internet is an excellent vehicle for selling your products. Good luck.

If you look at Ebay you will note that very many sellers refuse to post to Nigeria. Just treat this as a lesson learnt the hard way and just plough ahead. With reasonable precautions the internet is an excellent vehicle for selling your products. Good luck.

+1 a lot of ebayers refuse to sell to Nigeria, China, Russia etc. Call it what you will, but many 'power sellers' don't have the time to weed out the genuine buyers from those countries from the scammers.

Thanks for posting this. My brother was only telling me yesterday that he placed his old games console up for sale on gumtree. He got an email from someone saying that they were interested in buying it for a friend and that he would like to pay using paypal and could he give him a rate for posting it to Ghana.

He hasn't got a paypal account but I do so he was asking me to find out about using it to accept payments as I have only used it to buy stuff from ebay etc. I told him that it sounded like a scam, that I had heard of things like this. I don't think he was paying much attention until I showed him your post. Gumtree + Paypal + African Nation = Scam. He wrote back to this guy straight away and told him he wasn't interested in selling it like that.

Could have been an expensive lesson for him. Posting a games console and games to Ghana not to mention the loss of the games console itself would have been a huge blow to him. I would never have let him use my paypal account for this but showing him how close he came to being scammed without having to be the overprotective sister was nice for a change. I think will be a little less naive with regard to the internet from now on.

You should really download the phishing protection filter from Norton Anti Virus or similar , especially if using eBay , as there are emails coming through that look absolutely genuine , but are totally fake.

Never enter your username and password by clicking on a link in an email received .

Here is an example of a fake email :

Dear Allthedoyles,

We are writing to alert you that your eBay account has been suspended.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning,
temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership
and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions
may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us.

To remove any limitations, you are required to confirm your eBay registration.

Confirm your eBay registration

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are
prohibited from using eBay in any way until your confirmation.

Please note that this will affect the ability to sell or bid on items.
This includes the registering of a new account.

Sincerely,
eBay Safeharbor Department SD80

No it was Gumtree...
Hello,
Did paypal refund your loss?Thought the hole idea of paypal was to stop you getting scamed?I know on ebay they can take back the money of the seller if you open a dispute and they find in your favour.How did they scam you did they just not pay you?

I know on ebay they can take back the money of the seller if you open a dispute and they find in your favour
Not quite true. You raise the matter with paypal, if the account the seller/buyer doesnt have funds available, paypal cant take the money off them.
The seller/buyer wont be able to trade again with that username or credit card but they got your money at that stage.

Paypal is only protected through ebay, and only then in certain circumstances.
Gumtree, although a part of the ebay group, doesnt have this protection.

Back