Payoff Mortgage Early or Put on deposit/equities

Metafora

Hi,
Reading some of the other posts i realise i am in quite a fortunate position compared to some other posters. I hope they get through it ok.

My situation is as follows. I have approx 180K left on mortgage at the moment. Currently i have a 30 yr mortgage at ECB + 1.15% Tracker. House is probably worth approx 260K.

I have no other debt and will have approx 80K in a lump sum by August.
Should i
a) just pay off say 60K off my mortgage and reduce term of loan (saves approx 11yrs and approx 30K in interest i think.)
b) Pay off 60K and reduce my repayment each month and leave term alone (I would pay more interest back to bank this way i think),. Can use spare cash for regular saving/equities etc.

c) Invest in fixed term savings etc.

Is it too simplistic to say if i can get a better rate in saving interest than what my mortgage interest is than i should go with that. I know i need to consider DIRT and on the flip side should i make use of my Mortgage relief .

Advice appreciated.

Perhaps you should clarify if your career has/has not been affected by the global downturn,the recession etc...posters may then give you a better idea on what to do.

Yep, I will be made redundant end of August.
I am single with approx 20K in stock and 10K in savings

If I were you I'd be keeping my cash, you don't know how long you you will be redundant for.

If I were you I'd be keeping my cash, you don't know how long you you will be redundant for.

Yes, better off to hold onto it...

Put it into a high interest lump sum account, with readily available access to it when you need it.

Back