Payment of wages - cheque or credit transfer

H

Hansov

"Brother of hansov" posed me this question. His employer who up to now paid "Brother of hansov"'s wages by cheque now wants to pay wages by credit transfer directly to his bank. Bro not happy with this and wonders if there is anything in employment legislation to maintain his wages by cheque payment? Thanks

Hi Hansov,

This has been a fairly common issue over the last decade or so. Usually the company negotiate with the trade unions and on occassion combine it with a move from weekly to montly pay.

Im moving this to Careers and Employment where there may be some more comment. In the meantime check this out [broken link removed]

ajapale

Bro not happy with this
Just for curiousity, why is he unhappy? Surely being paid by credit transfer cuts out the delay involved in lodging or cashing the cheque.

rainyday,

I cant speak for handsov's brother but I have come across employees who resist eft wage paments for the following reasons.

1. They dont have a bank account. (Some cash their cheque at a Credit Union or at the company retail outlets)
2. They are in the habit of giving some or all of their wages to their spouse.
3. They like to "see" the money when they cash their cheque.
4. They live and work in remote rural areas and cant get to bank/atm.
5. The see it as a bargaining chip with which to negotiate more favourable T&C's in another aspect of their work.

ajapale

Back