Payment of solicitor's bill for probate etc

mangos

Hi

I hope someone can help me out there. Yesteday my partner received a bill from her solicitor for the finalisation of her later mother's affairs. The solicitor indicated in her letter that she would not register a number of properties my partner inherited in my partner's name until she was paid. My partner has already paid the solicitor 10,000 euro and has received no feedback directly from the solicitor at any stage in the proceedings. In the end she went to a new solicitor but cannot get satisfaction there. The old solicitor is also the executor of her mother's will.

Is she entitled not to pay the bill until the solicitor finalises her affairs?

with thanks
mangos

She's entitled to a full and detailed breakdown of costs and expenses to date and she should insist on this and query it if its out of the way.

Sounds like a lot of money to pay a solicitor unless there were other issues like stamp duty, capital gains etc

Hi Nutty Nut

Thanks for your response. yes there were a number of issues involved as her late mother's estate was quite big.

Thanks for your help
Mangos

I would still recommend getting a detailed breakdown and also request an estimate of the cost to complete the dealings

Back