Payment of RTSO related taxes

barbaros

I am a bit confused and asking for help (again), I read that it's possible to pay for RTSO related payments online from myAccount and ROS. Well I am registered to both but the most related payment I can see is "Income Tax" option. Can I make the total payment amount (income tax + prsi + usc) under pay taxes > Income tax or should I seek for special payment method "RTSO"? I got in contact with revenue few months ago and they said I am registered to RTSO but not sure if that payment option is available or is it simply Income Tax payment?

Thanks

Edit: I called Collectors-General and I have been told I am not registered to RTSO. So I am trying to sort that out but failed at the moment.

Last edited:
  1. Login to myAccount
  2. Scroll down, choose 'Make a Payment'
  3. What type of Payment are you making: Choose 'Tax' and click next
  4. Choose 'Relevant Tax Share Option' and click 'Add payment'. There may be a "show more taxes" options that you need to select here
  5. Select the year and amount and make the payment
If none of that is available to you, maybe you should get a bank draft made out to the Collector general as detailed on the RTSO1 form and send both off together

This item: Relevant Tax Share Option is missing for me at Tax screen, will try to get it sorted out with revenue

If you submit your RTSO1 form (via MyEnquiries will work), Revenue can get you registered so that you can make the payment for it via MyAccount.

this was very helpful thank you.

Does anyone know if it's possible to write off losses on ESPP shares? I purchased an allocation, held on to them for too long and subsequently they lost 98% of the value.

I still need to submit the RTSO1 payment but was hoping to minimise tax burden given how heavy the loss

2 separate types of tax events here- the RTSO is based on income tax rates not capital gains tax, so whenever you acquired the shares, you owe income tax, usc and prsi on the gain at that moment. This becomes the taxable value for cgt purposes whenever you later sell. If you are still holding on to these shares, and they have dropped in value, there is no taxable cgt event yet. If you sold at a much lower value, then you won’t owe any cgt on the sale, and will have a cgt loss you can carry forward against subsequent cgt gains.

2 separate types of tax events here- the RTSO is based on income tax rates not capital gains tax, so whenever you acquired the shares, you owe income tax, usc and prsi on the gain at that moment. This becomes the taxable value for cgt purposes whenever you later sell. If you are still holding on to these shares, and they have dropped in value, there is no taxable cgt event yet. If you sold at a much lower value, then you won’t owe any cgt on the sale, and will have a cgt loss you can carry forward against subsequent cgt gains.
thank you

Back