Paying voluntary UK NIC contributions

I managed to go in and look at my record - I have 15 full years of contributions - 8 years to contribute before my pension age! Do I just fill in the form and Mark it Class 2 - what has everyone else done? How do I work out how much I will need to pay yearly going forward or do they let me know this, also the shortfall, any idea how much this could be. Do they let you know before taking anything from you bank as they ask for details on form? thanks

Almost certainly Class 2.

You can repay any gaps as far back as 2006 if you apply before April 2023 so get started! After that it's only the preceding six years.

You'll need 35 years contributions before 67.
I am struggling getting information on this at moment online. I have registered and have gaps. 15 years of full contributions. 23 years when I didnt contribute enough. Should have said 8 years to contribute before April 2030. Do I just send off the form CF83 and fill in bank details they let me know shortfall and how much I need to contribute . Am assuming I am class 2 as well. thanks

o I just send off the form CF83 and fill in bank details they let me know shortfall and how much I need to contribute
Yes I think so. Include a cover note to make clear that you wish to make full back payments in advance of the April 2023 deadline. Take a scan of it all before you send, and send it by registered post.

You might not get a reply for six months, it seems that HMRC are deluged. But once you get the application in on time they will have to accept back payments.

Yes I think so. Include a cover note to make clear that you wish to make full back payments in advance of the April 2023 deadline. Take a scan of it all before you send, and send it by registered post.

You might not get a reply for six months, it seems that HMRC are deluged. But once you get the application in on time they will have to accept back payments.
thanks for much for this - really appreciate it

I spoke directly to the pensions office in Newcastle and they told me that all applications, received before the deadline, would be processed under the regulations at the time the request was received. In other words, the 16 year buy back option would be honored, even if it took a year, from now, to process the application.
The deadline has now been extended until July. To be honest, even when they get to that point, I wouldn't be surprised if they extended it again.

From article above, if you moved from UK to Ireland and commenced working in Ireland, you should be on Class 2, which costs a fraction of Class 3 contributions.

"Those who opt for Class 3 will currently be paying a rate of approx. £824.20 (roughly €940) for each additional year they wish to add to their record.

The Class 2 rate is much cheaper at €163.80. To avail of this rate, a person must fulfill the same requirements as for Class 3 and additionally, they must:

• have been employed in the UK up until immediately before they left
  • be in insurable employment abroad i.e. part of any social security system in the world - for Ireland that would mean being subject to PRSI."
    From the Irish Examiner article.

I was just looking into this as I haven't heard back from HMRC about additional voluntary contributions I made months ago - I know they are very slow but it was heading for 6 months without a reply!

There has been quite a significant update to the UK Government Gateway - I can now get directly into my NI account online as there is now the facility to verify identity electronically using a biometric passport, which includes international passport. Previously, even if registered for the UK Government Gateway I could not get further online as only UK identification (e.g. ID, postcode) were acceptable. It was a bit onerous but this is going to save me hours waiting on the phone!!
Fortunately all seems to be in order for me.
Can you actually pay back dated contributions in Government Gateway? I can see my NI record I might have verified my ID before. I can see the status update of CF83 form I sent in Feb , well all it actually says is form received 27 Feb estimated completion 20 March (this is under check progress) but can't make payments or anything, do I just have to wait for them to reply?

So logged in tonight, the application they received on 27 Feb is still in processing (had initially sent the wrong form and they took 3 months to tell me that). When checking on expected reply date it says October 2023 and that they are presently dealing with applications received in 2022! What are others doing in this situation right now?

Sit and wait; you're not at any disadvantage & it gives you time to save up a few bob if you have a back payment to make.

Hi, I paid my first class 2 contribution in January this year but it still hasn't shown up on my NI record online. Should I follow up or does it generally take months for HMRC process these payments? Also do I need to fill out a new CF83 each year now that I am 'in the system' they will just send me a notification of the amount I need to pay each year until retirement age? thanks!

Hi, I paid my first class 2 contribution in January this year but it still hasn't shown up on my NI record online. Should I follow up or does it generally take months for HMRC process these payments?
it can take a while & with the current backlog likely to take longer. As long as you have a record of payment; it'll be fine.
Also do I need to fill out a new CF83 each year now that I am 'in the system' they will just send me a notification of the amount I need to pay each year until retirement age? thanks!
Q1.No
Q2. Yes

Is it possible to make a payment to HMRC with bank details using NI number as reference, will this get recorded, the backlog is ridiculous

I sent a form then months later they replied saying wrong form resubmitted then waiting months again, no I have a few years arrears to pay then some future years but it's just dragging on

Back