Paying utility bill by Direct Debit - is outstanding balance checked on day payment is taken?

Ger1966

Not sure if this should be in the "Home Energy" forum, so apologies in advance if this should have been posted there.

My Electricity and Gas bills come every second month and I pay them by direct debit. To avoid bill "shocks" I try and pay something off these bills each month. That's worked out pretty good for me with my latest gas bill because I had a credit built up, so my latest gas bill for the December / January period (from Electric Ireland) is "only" €300 and this will be taken by direct debit on Feb 20. My question is that If I pay €150 off my gas bill on Tuesday (Feb 7) will Electric Ireland only take the remaining €150 on Feb 20, or will they take the full €300 that was on my bill?

The reason I'm asking is because my contract with Electric Ireland expires on Feb 8 and I've been doing some research into switching. There's very little in the difference between the providers, but I'm considering Flo Gas as they offer a €150 "switching bonus" and they also offer a fixed unit price for the next 12 months. Their standing charge is higher €239.98 v's Electric Ireland €190.65 v's Bord Gais €169.40, but overall, based on my usage for the past 12 month, I've calculated that I can save almost €220 when I compare the Flo Gas options compared to what I will be paying with Electric Ireland once my unit rates change after Feb 8. There'd be a saving of ~€135 between Flo Gas and Bord Gais, so the "switching bonus" is making the difference here. I know this paragraph is gone off this topic, but I've included it so you get the full context of my situation.

If I pay €150 off my EI gas bill now and I switch to Flo Gas on Feb 8, will €300 be taken by EI on Feb 20 or will it be the outstanding €150 as well as whatever gas I've used since my bill was issued? Or am I better off NOT paying anything off my EI gas bill so the full €300 is taken on Feb 20th, and then switching to Flo Gas on Feb 20 (I know I will have to pay EI for whatever gas I've used since my bill was issued).

If Flo Gas are offering fixed prices for 12 months, I strongly suspect that they think prices will be falling by then

My question is that If I pay €150 off my gas bill on Tuesday (Feb 7) will Electric Ireland only take the remaining €150 on Feb 20, or will they take the full €300 that was on my bill?
They will check your outstanding balance and take that amount. It is not clear what date they will check your balance. 7th seems far enough in advance of the 20th to be safe, but you cannot be sure.

It is down to timing. Bord Gais bill was €320. I paid €150 in the post office and Bord Gais still took the €320 from the bank account. Other times I paid extra onto the account mid cycle and only the balance was taken from the account.

They send the DD in advance, not sure how far in advance maybe a week, as the DDs are produced in batches so if you pay an amount off the bill just before collection date, likelihood they will take the full bill amount, if paying in advance then best to transfer before ir as close to the date the bill is up to and not close to actual collection date

Back