Paying sterling to UK website

Jimmy Mook

Hi
I have made an order with my visa card to a UK shop via their website but received a reply to say that as my card was not registered in the UK they had to cancel the order. They say they require a sterling cheque payment. Does anybody know if these readily available in banks here and if there is a commission charged?

Yes - sterling bank drafts are available at every bank branch. I have sent dozens at this stage, and they are acceptable by everyone. I have also sent US dollar drafts. Of course, there is a commission charged by the bank of about €2-€3.

Jimmy Mook said:
Hi
I have made an order with my visa card to a UK shop via their website but received a reply to say that as my card was not registered in the UK they had to cancel the order. They say they require a sterling cheque payment. Does anybody know if these readily available in banks here and if there is a commission charged?

What type of card do you have?, I've made dozens (possibly 00's) purchases from UK shops with my BOI visa card and have never heard of it being registered anywhere. Visa is an international "thing" is it not...I stand to be corrected on that, I've used mine all over the planet with no issues ever, anywhere..

Paul

Some online traders only accept credit cards with billing addresses from their own countries - I'm guessing as a counter-fraud measure, they could validate a local address - so it's not necessarily anything wrong with the OP's credit card but a policy of the vendor. I too have made online purchases from business's all over the world without issue for the most part, but one or two have refused my CC (and lost the business).

Thanks lads, I ended up doing business with another website in the UK who had no problem with the card.

I have come up with this problem before on Expedia.co.uk, a brilliant travel website where I could not make a booking because I had a non-UK credit card. I rang up Expedia regarding this and was apologetically told that this was out of their control because of the bank they use restricts where they can use credit cards from. I have bought products successfully from several other UK websites and never had a problem.

Back