Paying rent by direct debit

Hi Scrivere,
That's what we said but she was adamant that it needs to be there on the 23rd of December or he'll be charged an extra €20.

http://www.threshold.ie/ - try here

or contact the bank , your son has set the dd up for the 1st. Therefore they might be willing to decline the dd as "not due" dd's have alot of rules around them.

Other thing is, depending on your sons circumtances... he may be paid early for Christmas so may have the money for the 23rd. I still think what the PA are doing is wrong.

I am not a business but I have direct debits set up to come out of my account for electricity, gas etc.
Yes, direct debits are initiated by the business - in your case, the electricity or gas company. You cannot set up a direct debit with another individual.

Yes, direct debits are initiated by the business - in your case, the electricity or gas company. You cannot set up a direct debit with another individual.

Hi Complainer, Son No. 2 pays me his car insurance every month, from his a/c to mine. I always thought this was a direct debit. Maybe it's a Standing order. It appears on my statement as a CT (Credit Transfer, I presume).

Hi Complainer, Son No. 2 pays me his car insurance every month, from his a/c to mine. I always thought this was a direct debit. Maybe it's a Standing order. It appears on my statement as a CT (Credit Transfer, I presume).
Standing orders are 'push' transactions - the money is pushed from the sender to the reciever. Direct debits are 'pull' transactions - the money is pulled by the reciever from the sender, it is initiated by the sender. Direct debits can be for variable amounts (e.g. an ESB bill). Standing orders generally stay the same.

So unless you send a message to your bank telling them how much to pull from your son's account, it is not a direct debit. It is a standing order.

Never pay with direct debit. Just do a monthly online transfer, gives you a bit of room.

If they mention paying for late charges make sure not to pay your last months rent as they are just going to rip you off.

Standing orders are 'push' transactions - the money is pushed from the sender to the reciever. Direct debits are 'pull' transactions - the money is pulled by the reciever from the sender, it is initiated by the sender. Direct debits can be for variable amounts (e.g. an ESB bill). Standing orders generally stay the same.

So unless you send a message to your bank telling them how much to pull from your son's account, it is not a direct debit. It is a standing order.
Well put, Complainer. It is something that many people mix up, whether a payment is a standing order or a direct debit. While they are both methods of automated payment, it is important to know the difference when you are dealing with direct debits, should you need to rely, at any stage,on the rules of the originator scheme, -as mentioned in earlier posts.

If the rent is due on the 1st there is no way it has to be paid by the 23rd December plain and simple and if the 1st is a bank holiday than with a standing order it will have to be the 4th.

I think the agent in the agreement means a standing order and not a direct debit.

In any case are not the 28th to 31st Dec not normal working days if one wants to be pedantic about it.

Did you son agree with the agent that the rent was to be paid on the 1st of the month?

Hi Bronte,
Yes, son agreed to the 1st. then he was verbally instructed to have the payment in his a/c on Dec 23rd or he'd be charged an extra €20

As it states in paragrapgh 4, "Rent is to be paid by Direct Debit on the 1st of every month"

I've contacted Threshold and they advised writing to the bank, which he will do.

http://www.threshold.ie/ - try here

or contact the bank , your son has set the dd up for the 1st. Therefore they might be willing to decline the dd as "not due" dd's have alot of rules around them.

Other thing is, depending on your sons circumtances... he may be paid early for Christmas so may have the money for the 23rd. I still think what the PA are doing is wrong.

Thanks scrivere. I've contacted Threshold.
He won't be paid on the 23rd. Last year he was paid on Tues. Dec 30th

The document you've posted quite clearly states the 1st of the month.

I've had a look at the website of that agent and you should have a look at what the website says under tenants point 9 (not good - for the future be warned) and point 12 should be pointed out to them in relation to their unreasonableness in expecting the rent on the 23rd. All this should in any case be clear from the lease. Do you have a copy of the lease?

The document you've posted quite clearly states the 1st of the month.

I've had a look at the website of that agent and you should have a look at what the website says under tenants point 9 (not good - for the future be warned) and point 12 should be pointed out to them in relation to their unreasonableness in expecting the rent on the 23rd. All this should in any case be clear from the lease. Do you have a copy of the lease?

9. There is no set law regarding the time limit for returning deposits but this is normally subsequent to the final inspection of the property.

YIKES! Thanks for pointing this out Bronte. The lads paid the deposit themselves and know that it's up to them to treat the place with respect, if they want to get their deposit back.

Re the lease: I thought that the doc I posted was the only form he signed, apart from the authorisation to the bank. I'll check with him.

Back