Paying property tax if your DSP personal rate payment to less than €186/weekly

Sierra

I accept that the property tax is a pain we have to accept the result of what I term tetestorone driven risk takers who by their greed and incompetency(while drawing big salaries, pensions and living either beyond their means or on means they don't deserve) have brought the country to this. (Now that I've got that off my chest)

I'm languishing on the dole and live in an expensive area of Dublin where I've calculated the house I live in is going to come in at the €700,000-€750,000 bracket. I will only be eligible for half the tax since I live with another adult. I've decided for me the most painless way to pay this wold have it subtracted (on a weekly basis if possible) from my social welfare payment. But after accessing the revenue site I've noticed the below quote which puzzles me since I'm below that rate due to means testing.

Deduction from a DSP payment cannot reduce your DSP personal rate payment to less than €186 per week.​

Source: www.revenue.ie

No doubt if Revenue refuse to take it from my social welfare payment because of this they'll collect it in another way anyway & for me a more painful way. So what difference would another method of payment make to me besides causing me more hardship and hassle.

Not all DSP schemes will be eligible for local property tax deductions - the schemes which can make LPT deductions are mainly pension-related payments.

See the list here in FAQ6:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/dsp-recipients.html#section7

Jobseeker payments are not eligible for LPT deductions, so Revenue/DSP will refuse an application for deductions regardless of the amount you are receiving.

I don't understand how someone on 186€ a week can pay property tax on a property in the lower brackets never mind the bracket Sierra is in.

Maybe the CWO will come into this going forward and will advance the property tax to people in her situation.

Or maybe she can defer it. There's a possiblity of deferal if you are on low income brackets.

You can defer it if your income is less than €15,000 per tear for a single person or €25,000 for a couple (it doesn't specified married)

How do you reckon you are only liable for half? Is the property in joint ownership?

Remember it is the bowner of the property that is liable and not the occupier.

Can you clarify what you are saying here?

Without trying to speak for Bronte I assume she means that the CWO will approve a one off payment to people to cover their property tax in the same way they might cover any other one off expense like a broken washing machine or whatever. I cant see it happening, although something other than deferral needs to be done because mounting debt with interest for people on low incomes is not the answer.

It is very unlikely that any exceptional needs payments will be made by SWA officers (formerly CWOs) in respect of the Local Property Tax.

Thank you for all your replies.

How do you reckon you are only liable for half? Is the property in joint ownership?
The house is being held in trust for my sister and myself, we are both resident in the house. I'm not interested in deferring if interest accrues. Unlike the gob****es who caused the mess in this country I live with in my means and pay my bills immediately. I've calculated this year it will be €5 a week and next year €10 a week, hopefully by then I might be off social welfare or atleast in an internship. It will be managable since I am cutting out certain products I buy which I've have found out contain ingredients myself (and my cat) would be better of without. I reckon this will make me break even. I've gone past expecting any compassion or fairness in this country. Most if us who have to pay the property tax are victims of greedy, despicable, conscienceless rogues, many of who are living in the lap of luxury on huge pensions for performing their jobs and managing their finances in a despicable manner. I hope the're proud of the hardship and unfairness they've caused, knowing the type they are they probably couldn't care less.

Back