Paying method for Bord Gais

Speedwell

Hi all,

I have been a gas customer for over the last year. I was paying by DD but decided that I would like to pay an alternative method.

When I cancelled the DD with Bord Gais, they told me that that was fine and there seemed to be no problem in doing that.

A few days later I then received a letter from BG saying that a €400 security deposit was gone on my account due to me ending the DD.

I remember when I first signed up that the deposit was originally €250. When I queried this they told me “well everything goes up in price”. I thought it was a very steep jump. Apart from the fact that no one told me that this was going to happen.

I was told that the only way I would not have to pay this deposit was if I signed up for DD again, so in effect they are now forcing me to pay by DD. As I am back in college full time I could no way afford to pay €400.

Has anyone else come across this problem and what way are you paying for your gas? Surely I should be allowed pay by what ever method I prefer and not get penalised like this.

Thanks for your input.

V.

Did you pay that 250 deposit when you signed up? therefore the new rate of deposit (if any) should be 150 (400 - 250). Have you asked to see any written regulation which points to the date on which the increased deposit came into being. Sounds to me like mention the word "student" and deposit takes a hike.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who so willingly sign up for DD's. The only DD I have ever signed in my life is for Mortgage. All other payments (utillities etc.) are made by my choice of method. Cheque, cash,laser, Post Office whatever suits me best at the time.

I pay all utilities by DD and have never had a problem with any of them...

By the way (seba) veron you are not being penalised as such, they will give you back the deposit if and when the bill is transferred to someone else. Thats what happens when they have too many debtors....

Hi,

Nellie123: No i did not pay the original €250 as we signed up for the DD. They do not know that I am gone back to college.

Stifster: I know I will get it back when / if the account changes but I am real annoyed that I cannot pay by whatever method I choose unless I pay this €400. Seems an extortionate amount of money to me.

Hi,

Nellie123: No i did not pay the original €250 as we signed up for the DD. They do not know that I am gone back to college.

Stifster: I know I will get it back when / if the account changes but I am real annoyed that I cannot pay by whatever method I choose unless I pay this €400. Seems an extortionate amount of money to me.

It's just how they deal with people fecking off and not paying their last bill.

I have found moving house not fun as when I notified Bord Gais of the address change they canceled the standing Direct debit without telling anyone and then the next gas bill missed its due date..and letters requesting payment arrived.

I subsequently re-setup the debit of course, as I'm busy and can't always be watching every bill that comes along.

What annoyed me most was their attitude that I should have known that they would cancel the direct debit ( now the customer number remained the same so the whole thing seems silly to me ) I said I wanted an apology letter - which in fairness I did receive but it did not read too sincerely to me.

Bord Gais are the state monopoly provider of course they are going to have policies that suit them. The only way they will change their attitude would be if the they were split up in some way. But they like Eircom and VHI will be slow to be chopped into samller units.

Anyway need the gas so no choice - just keep an eye when you do move house!

Back