Paying LPT via Revenue Online is very straightforward

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I was online today to do my Form 11 and clicked on the tab for property tax.

Took less than one minute to pay it online. It won't be taken from my account until 21 March 2014 as I paid it via Single Debit Authority.

It won't be taken from my account until 21 March 2014
Did you pay by debit card. I did last time and the money was taken the next day despite paying a month early.

Just to clarify Brendan ..... You paid with a debit card (such as Visa Debit) but funds won't be taken from your account until 21st March 2014?

Just to clarify Brendan ..... You paid with a debit card (such as Visa Debit) but funds won't be taken from your account until 21st March 2014?

- No he used the single debit authority. Sorry for jumping in.

Last edited:
Sorry but I am confused about reasoning behind the different settlement dates for the LPT.
Why for example should you not be able to pay by Debit card on the 21st of March 2014 as opposed to having to settle on 27/11/2013. This is the same settlement date as you have for SDA.

SDA set up by 27th November and processed by your bank on 21st March 2014 is the way to go. Why would I want to give the Revenue my money in November, December or January?

My Mother does not want to give revenue her bank account details and is happier just handing over visa debit card number - I'm sure she is not the only one with this opinion rightly or wrongly but yes it means paying earlier.

If you pay by Visa/Debit card it will be paid immediately. I guess it would be tough to defer credit/debit card payments for a few months, what would happen if your current card expires in a months time, for example?

I paid mine by Visa Debit earlier. Took about 2 mins. Got a reciept by email a few mins later.

I see Revenue are finally sending an email acknowledging payment when you register on line.

SDA set up by 27th November and processed by your bank on 21st March 2014 is the way to go. Why would I want to give the Revenue my money in November, December or January?

Why would you want to give your money to revenue in March? Why not choose direct debit and stretch final payment out to December 2014

Why would you want to give your money to revenue in March? Why not choose direct debit and stretch final payment out to December 2014

One payment is a lot simpler. You don't have to worry about having enough it the bank 12 times a year to meet the DD. You only have to worry about it once.

Brendan

The option to have it deducted from your salary is handy too, its only a few euro per week.

What is the liability date for owning the house in order to be liable for the 2014 LPT

One payment is a lot simpler. You don't have to worry about having enough it the bank 12 times a year to meet the DD. You only have to worry about it once.

Brendan

Yes, by paying it over a year, you have extra bank charges for the direct debit itself and, if you're not organised, possible charges for returned direct debits.

I guess it's time to update my payment method. My Danske current account may not exist on 21 March 2014.

I guess it's time to update my payment method. My Danske current account may not exist on 21 March 2014.

That shouldn't be a problem - presumably at some stage you'll transfer the account to another bank: the banks involved should move any direct debits. There's very little you have to do.

I was somewhat sceptical about this until I did it, but it seems to work well enough.

As an elderly person had no problem in paying via online and i dont know what all the fuss and adverse comment in the media is about. I have a feeling that many people nowadays do not read a document carefully but just glance at it as if they were checking their mobiles. Hence if they do not immediately see what they are looking for they throw their arms in the air and have a mini rant.

Back