Motor paying insurance 11 months after accident?

One question... Did you talk to the person who is handling the claim about this and if they would not fight the claim unless you keep paying?. If not probably best ring and get that person and see what they say....

lucozade my car was a right off n i bought a new one which they changed the policy over to whilst still waiting for the drivers experience to come through. i only got rid of this car recently. i honestly no how this sounds my head is spinning with it all,

I can see how this has happened, my reading of it would be that as you were slightly outside the acceptance criteria (seems like company 1 were being v inflexible here, but in fairness you should have made sure all was in order before going on holiday) of company/policy 1 they begun cancelling your policy (but an insurer can't just cancel a policy suddenly, so they were probably in the process of issuing a 7 day cancellation letter, when you had an accident).

If this happened to one of our clients I would have advise the following:

> Pay the minimum rate to insurer 1 for the time they have had you on cover (companies can charge short term rates for cancelling in the first year of insurance but it should be nowhere near 12 months premium)
> Change to a new insurer (disclosing all relevant information, including details of the accident). Once on cover with company 2, make sure company one has cancelled the policy.

At this stage I would write to company ones customer service dept, explaining the situation and ask why you were charged a full years premium instead of a short term rate. If the answer isn't to your satisfaction, get a final letter from company ones customer service dept, outlining their final position and then bring your case to the insurance ombudsman.

thank you very much jimbobp, i was only isured for 2 or 3 weeks but have paid the full years policy. i did exactly what you say for the 2nd policy and that is why it was so dear. so they cannot make me take a 2nd policy out while the claim is settled? the car doesnt even exist!!!

No, they can't force you to keep a policy live. Technically you could have cancelled the policy the day after the accident and they would still have to deal with the claim.

Most insurance companies will insist on the full years premium to be paid if there are any claims in that policy year. So while technically you could cancel it the day after, there wouldn't be any point as you'd be paying for the cover anyway.

This particular case is odd, in that it seems the insurance company is claiming they are not eligible for cover, but they had an accident during the time it took to decide that you were not eligible, so you have a claim outstanding (and so are due the full years cover) but are not going to benefit from the rest of that years cover. That's seem a bit unfair to me. To me if they are going to charge you for the full year they should provide cover for that charge! If they can't then there must be some middle ground where they didn't have to charge you the full amount simply because you were unfortunate enough to have had an accident while you thought you were covered. But without knowing the policy you're with, and the small print for such a scenario (if it is covered), it's difficult to say for sure. Technically they could be entirely within their rights to charge what they have charged, harsh as it may seem.

Btw this is assuming the reason for non coverage was unforeseen by both sides. If information was deliberately left out then that's fraud - but then in that case I would have thought the insurance company would have stated they are not liable a while ago rather than letting it drag on like this.

However, OP, I'm also having difficulty following your posts. I hate to be the grammar nazi but you'll need to organise your posts better if you want the best help. A timeline of events, with as much detail as you are willing to give, in full sentences with paragraphs, will make it a lot easier for people to follow what you are saying and advise appropriately, rather than try and guess what's going on, where we might give out wrong advice.

Ultimately, for a complicated case like this, it's probably better to seek professional advice.

thanks for all the replies. i have taken legal advice and am waiting for a reply from the insurance company. i have been made aware that they should have covered me for the 12 months or i am only to pay for the 2 weeks cover they gave me, they cant charge me and give me no cover. will let you know how i get on

Back