Motor paying insurance 11 months after accident?

poppy123

going to try and make this as simple as possible. 11 months ago after being a named driver for years i thought i would get my own insurance. the company asked me to sen details of my driving insurance within 14 days, i requested this info from previous companies. 1 week later i had an accident the day before i went on holiday for a week. came back from hols to receive an email saying that i was about 5 days short of driving experience, probably lapses when we changed companies. ok i said ill have to start from scratch, they said they wouldnt insure me as i had a claim pending !! i had to go to a broker n pay about 1500 euro for cover and am still paying the original policy. the policy is up this month and the claim hasnt been settled as no one has admitted liabilty. the first company have said i need to take out another policy for the next 12 months even though they are not insuring me, this is costing me a fortune and the car was only worth 800 euro. am at the end of my tether , any advice would be appreciated thanks

the first company have said i need to take out another policy for the next 12 months even though they are not insuring me
That doesn't make any sense. Nor does, if I'm reading correctly, that you have been paying for two overlapping policies.

You are paying for the original policy because your claim is being dealt with.

As previously said nothing is clear as you obviously are lax in covering things if theres gap in your driving experience. Probably gaps in your story!

there are honestly no gaps in my story its very difficult to explain . i am paying the 1st set of insurance because the claim has not been resolved, that policy is up this month but they have told me that because it is ongoing i have to take another one out until it is resolved even though there will be no further cover, the second one is up this month and i will not be renewing it because im now not driving. because i now have no car. the gaps in the driving experience must have been when the main policy holder changed companies and there was a gap of a few days, for driving experience they said there can not be even a days gap to avail of no claims bonus, hope this is clearer. i can assure you that this is what has happened and i am not trying to be lax

need to add that the second policy is with a broker that the first company advised me to ring.

This looks like complete poppycock.
You renew a policy that doesn't insure you because the claim is not settled.
You then have a second policy on the same car.

........... I am paying the 1st set of insurance because the claim has not been resolved, that policy is up this month but they have told me that because it is ongoing i have to take another one out until it is resolved even though there will be no further cover,..............

Never ever heard the like of this, you were paying a premium when the accident occurred, therefore you were insured for any claim made against you regarding that accident.

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying they want you to keep paying a premium (but not receive any benefit) for the duration that this claim is ongoing????

Utter madness, sure that could drag on for years. I know where I'd tell them to go.

Are you SURE you picked this up correctly ?

i am absolutely certain, im paying 2 policies one of which doesnt insure me, the 1st policy was taken out on the understanding that i sent them my driving experience letters, the following week i had the accident, because of the gaps in the experience they cancelled the cover on the policy while i was away for a week. i came back and said i would start from scratch without the discount for the no claims and they said we wont insure you on a new policy because your policy has lapsed and you have a claim pending. they are fighting the claim for me but i have to pay the policy even though there is no further cover. they are now saying i have to continue paying until the claim is settled. this is the honest of God truth. i am constantly on the phone to them and getting nowere

If they cancelled your policy in year 1 you should get a refund of any premium on a pro rata basis.

As everyone else says they can't force you to buy a policy that doesn't give you any cover.

This story makes no sense. If its true just don't renew the non existence policy with them.

i asked for my deposit back as soon as they cancelled it as it was only 2 weeks later and thats when they told me i had to pay for the full year because of the case pending, i paid the balance by direct debit because they stated that they wouldnt fight the case if i cancelled. think i may speak to a solicitor and will let you know what he says. i know the story doesnt make sense but this is honestly the predicement that i am in, no lies no hiding anything.

Right Poppy123 I think I understand what you're saying. So firstly you were insured as a named driver on policy 1. You wanted your own policy so you sought and got a quote for policy number 2. You were granted cover on policy number 2 pending the receipt of all the appropriate documents. So you had cover assuming everything was okay with the documents. When you sent these in you were short the required period of previous insurance cover/experience for their criteria so they cancelled your policy!. But in the interim between starting policy number 2 and the insurance company cancelling it you had an accident. So they've said you've had an accident and we are dealing with it so you owe us the full years premium?. Am I correct so far??

When you then said right forget about me having previous years of insurance and just give me another quote.This time the quote based on having zero years of previous insurance. They said that because you now had a claim - albeit with themselves- that you now fell outside their criteria and they wouldn't quote you....

So to enable you to keep driving you got a quote with another insurance company. Policy number 3....

So in relation to your question about about having to pay policy 2 until the claim is resolved. I've never heard of this. They are "possibly" within their rights to get that full years premium off you depending on their cancellation conditions but for you to continue paying. Absolutely not.

So as you currently don't have a car you shouldn't be paying any insurance. I would advise you to discuss this with your current broker and they should be able to resolve the matter for you.... "That's what they are paid for!!" If they are no help you can contact the Insurance Ombudsman, Insurance Federation and also make a "Formal" complaint to the insurance company of policy number 2 who are asking you to do this......

....... the second one is up this month and i will not be renewing it because im now not driving. because i now have no car..........

And then you go on to say.............

i had to take out a second policy with a broker as the 1st on is void

Why, or even how, did you take out a second policy if you have no car??

Curiouser and curiouser..........

i took the second policy out 11 months ago, it will be cancelled this month as i got fid of my car in the last few weeks

lucozade not really sorry it is very confusing ill try agin. i was named driver on my husbands policy for years , when i got my own car i took out car insurance, this is what im calling policy 1. they quoted ma a price so i paid the deposit and i had to send in my 5 years driving experience to them in 14 days, i requested this info and was waiting for it to be faxed through. the week after i was involved in an accident, it was reported to them. i went on holiday for a week and when i returned i was told that my driving experience didnt run concurrently, there was about 5 days missing so they cancelled my policy, when i tried to sort it by saying ill start from scratch they said we wont insure you with a claim pending but you have to pay the policy up for the year or we wont fight the claim. this is were policy 2 comes in, i had to go to an underwriter?? and pay big money agian becase of the claim pending , this is now finished, the case still hasnt been settled and the 1 st policy have stated that i have to renew it for them to carry on fighting the case even though there will still be no cover, hope this explains it, i think they have used the gap of 5 days to cancell the policy

Hi Poppy123, I'm just finding it difficult to make sense of what you're saying or what you think the insurance company is saying to you. So lets start again. The second policy you took out was with a different insurer I'm assuming because the first company wouldn't insure you with a claim.. So for all intents and purposes this policy is irrelevant to your query.....

The insurers for policy one are saying that unless you pay the premium and continue to pay it they won't fight the claim on your behalf. You do have to understand that this makes absolutely no sense...... So lets say you're not liable for the accident but someone is claiming 20,000 for an injury... This is just illustrative... So you are saying that the insurers of policy one will stop fighting the claim - even though they're in theory not liable for the accident - and pay out this 20,000 unless you pay eg 1,000 in premium....

In reality they will fight it anyway as it's in their interest to do so..

I have to say your version this doesn't make any sense and as a result its very difficult to offer advice.

I'd recommend you possibly ask someone you know who might have experience of these matters to discuss this with the insurance company on your behalf...

yes thats about it lucozade, maybe i shouldnt have mentioned policy 2!!! i was insured at the time of the accident with polcy 1 but feel they cancelled it because of the gaps in driving ex . because of this i had to take our policy 2. i can understand that i had to pay the 12 months but not that i have to renew it for another 12 months because the claim isnt resolved. i feel that they have used the gaps as an excuse once i had the accident and that led me to taking policy 2 out, going to get in touch with ombusman and see what they say. even if i renew they have said that its just to fight the ongoing case only

From what you say, it seems to me that the 1st policy you took out where you were depending on your named driver experience to get you cover, had paid deposit, forwarded documents, etc, unfortunately had accident during this period, before policy was finalised, but company cancelled the policy because of lack of continuous driving experience they said , but with claim pending.

This looks like the company was declaring your policy invalid ? Could this be the reason it is still not sorted after 11 months. Your policy conditions weren't fulfilled so they declared it cancel led/invalid ?

Then you got another insurance policy sorted at great expense .....on the crashed car ? Or another car ? And you are still paying this ? But the 1st one was cancelled after the accident ?

Is the real problem that you didn't have proper cover when you had the accident ?

That is the only sense I can make of it

Hi again, there's just something that we are fundamentally missing here... No offence Poppy123 but your understanding of what's going on can't be right. If you haven't got the car anymore there can't be any policy of insurance..... But see what the ombudsman says or try the Insurance Federation, whilst a industry body and NOT independent, possibly will make a call for you to the insurance company to see what's going on.
Anyway let us know how you get on.

thanks 110quest !!! thats it. ive got a headache trying to explain it!! the 1st policy have no problem fighting the claim and are saying i was 100 % covered at time off accident, no arguement there and this isnt the reason the claim hasnt been settled, the other driver is claiming injury so it may go to court and the 1 st policy is saying no way was it my fault, my argument is that they cancelled my ploicy when i was away and by the time i got home and read email they said weve already cancelled it and wont re insure you because youve a claim pending but youve to pay us anyway, this led to me having to take out policy 2, that is finished now because ive recently got rid of the car, but the 1 policy phoned to renew my policy and said i had to do this for them to carry on fighting, i asked if they were insuring me agin and they said no but you need to take another out for this year because of the claim!! its cost me aver 2000 euro on both policies for a 800 euro car and now they want more !!

Back