Paying for Nursing Home Fees

D

davidwatts

My Aunt has recently entered a nursing home with annual fees of €55,000.

I am her sole relation and have been asked to look after her accounts. Her house was recently sold and at present there is €500,000 sitting in an AIB deposit account attracting minimal interest.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best type of investment for the €500,000 to try and generate €55,000 per annum.

My Aunt is 82 so I am not hugely worried about eating in to the capital sum but would hope to ensure it could pay for her fees as long as she is alive.

Your aunt's pension should amount to ~€10,000 per aunnum so the real amount you pay to the nursing home is €45,000. You can also apply for subvention from the HSE. However, given that there is €1/2 million sitting in the bank I wouldn't expect much. You'd have been better off not selling the house and allowing the HSE to consider the house as an income provider of 5% of market value = €25k per annum. The HSE would then have added some money to help pay the difference between €25k and €45k. (Furthermore, next year, the "fair deal" will hopefully come into play where the HSE pays all the cost of the nursing home in return for up to 15% of the value of the home...still a better deal for you). See links below :
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Thanks Squonk....that is extremely helpful, much appreciated.

Back