Paying CGT...when?

tosullivan

I just sold an investment property and I know I am liable for CGT to be paid by 31st October. Do I declare it in the same online form when I'm doing my personal tax returns or is it calculated seperately?

I am joint assessed on ROS and I am eligible also for the joint personal allowance for the purpose of my CGT calculation.

I just sold an investment property and I know I am liable for CGT to be paid by 31st October. Do I declare it in the same online form when I'm doing my personal tax returns or is it calculated seperately?

I am joint assessed on ROS and I am eligible also for the joint personal allowance for the purpose of my CGT calculation.

You can pay it when making your 2006 personal tax return. You will also have to complete a 2007 CGT Return by 31 Oct 2008.

any reason why?

You're only paying the tax this October. You still have to submit a Return. As the asset was sold in 2007, the deadline for submitting the Return is 31/10/08

Same as Income Tax. You can't just send a cheque off to Revenue. They will want to see a Return to back up your figures.

So this october, do I fill in the CGT section in my tax return or do I wait until next year? How will I know how much I have to pay?

(I have spoken with my accountact and I have the figure already worked out)

Back