Paying by Cash and Card in self service checkouts.

pudds

I shop mainly in supervalue on these machines and would like to pay by cash first and balance by card, I would
usually have about €10 in coinage, made up of 2e,1e, 50c, coins, so say, roughly €10 in cash and balance by card.

The key thing is will the machines allow me to do this without having to call for assistance.

It's been a while since I did this - probably pre COVID - but I don't remember there being an issue mixing (first) cash and (second) card.

It works in Tesco anyway. Not sure about SuperValu but it seems like a basic enough function so you would think so.

In Dunnes and Tesco, when you start paying with cash an option comes up on screen saying “pay the rest another way”. Select that button and the card machine is ready to tap your card for the remaining balance. I assume supervalu has the same function.

Yes you can pay the remainder by card after using up your change without calling assistance. Just tap or insert card as usual. I do it all the time

I just tried it in supervalu today with €6.50 in cash and then pay by card for the balance,
and it all went through smoothly which is great and thanks for that guys.

Anyone know if there is a cash limit or would it take say a mixed bag of copper coins to a max of a €5 say?

Anyone know if there is a cash limit or would it take say a mixed bag of copper coins to a max of a €5 say?

More likely you'll hit a time limit if you're trying to shovel a bag full of coppers into the machine

I just tried it in supervalu today with €6.50 in cash and then pay by card for the balance,
and it all went through smoothly which is great and thanks for that guys.

5 euro in coppers? It’s not the machines you have to worry about. It’s the rage generating in the queue behind you

I have a pile of them myself, but do 1c coins actually still exist in the real world these days?
They still exist, but are rarely seen because of rounding at the till. I know I've put coins into the self service tills which were rejected - I think they were the 1c and 2c.
I'd guess if pudds has €5 in coppers, that it includes 1c and 2c.
I've just googled and found this on acts.ie :
'No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.'
So it's possible the tills wouldn't accept a large number of coins.

5 euro in coppers? It’s not the machines you have to worry about. It’s the rage generating in the queue behind you
1. Rustbucket is right, there is nothing worse than waiting in a queue while somebody puts one coin at a time into the slot (and some of them argue with themselves on what coin is next). In the meantime your ice cream is melting and your fish beginning to smell.
2. (i) Often I'd have over €100 amassed in various coins and I use Dunnes Stores to pay for groceries at the self service tills.
(ii) The coin slot is attached to a flap that can easily be raised and you can slide €100 worth of coins through in seconds. The machine automatically sorts and accepts the coins and displaces useless coins and washers. All this with minimum delay. Even change is given in larger denomination coins.
3. Dunnes Stores don't charge for accepting coins. Some stores do when you use separate coin change area.
4. Don't forget to lift the flap for quicker exit and a more patient queue behind.

1. Rustbucket is right, there is nothing worse than waiting in a queue while somebody puts one coin at a time into the slot (and some of them argue with themselves on what coin is next). In the meantime your ice cream is melting and your fish beginning to smell.
2. (i) Often I'd have over €100 amassed in various coins and I use Dunnes Stores to pay for groceries at the self service tills.
(ii) The coin slot is attached to a flap that can easily be raised and you can slide €100 worth of coins through in seconds. The machine automatically sorts and accepts the coins and displaces useless coins and washers. All this with minimum delay. Even change is given in larger denomination coins.
3. Dunnes Stores don't charge for accepting coins. Some stores do when you use separate coin change area.
4. Don't forget to lift the flap for quicker exit and a more patient queue behind.
I saw that hack on google all right but to be honest I'm not interested in loading up the machine with coins only to
have them jam or thrown back up at me. Easy and slow is my advice and less risk of failure.

I dont think the assistants would be too pleased to see us lifting that flap :)

Just trying to figure out why you all seem to have so many coins to get rid of. I seem to be constantly trying to hoard a few coins for the parking meters. With all this tapping of cards there's no coin around.

I was in Tescos in Merrion today and they had a cash only self-service till.

As I had cash, I was able to skip the queue.

I have often seen "card payment only" tills but I had not noticed a cash only one before.

Brendan

I was in Tescos in Merrion today and they had a cash only self-service till.

As I had cash, I was able to skip the queue.

I have often seen "card payment only" tills but I had not noticed a cash only one before.

Brendan
Fancy! I heard their machines don’t accept coins anyway. Notes only in D4

Sorry, I forget to say that the minimum note size was €20 and to speed things up, they give change in notes only, so they round the bill up or down.

Brendan

Back