Paying bills, executor

Shelby219

Our mother died last October, and I don't think will has been lodged yet to courts, or if that affects this. There are 3 bills outstanding, heating oil to keep damp out of the house, ESB , and an Eircom bill, (monitored alarm), house is not occupied but I check it a few times a week,to make sure everything is ok. How are these bills to be paid, executor is asking siblings to share them, but I thought he should be paying them from our mother's bank account as executor?

The executor cant access your mothers bank accounts directly but should contact the bank to ask if bills can be paid.

The executor cant access your mothers bank accounts directly but should contact the bank to ask if bills can be paid.
Once Probate has issued, access to the bank accounts should pose no difficulty. In the meantime, some financial institutions will allow the named executor to discharge bills from the deceased’s account (eg death, burial and testamentary expenses).

Once Probate has issued, access to the bank accounts should pose no difficulty. In the meantime, some financial institutions will allow the named executor to discharge bills from the deceased’s account (eg death, burial and testamentary expenses).
From the OP it reads to me that Grant of Probate has not yet been extracted. Most essential utilities will allow bills to run on, provided Exec writes & gives undertaking.

Anything else that has to be paid, e.g. house insurance has to come out of exec or beneficiaries pocket & be refunded when probate done.

In the meantime, take steps to secure the property, turn off water, block up letter box etc.

Back