Paying a neighbour for small jobs

Logo

A retired neigbour of my rental property has been really helpful in keeping it in good repair for small jobs (cutting grass, hedge-cutting, fixing ground-level gutters, repairing door locks/ replacing keys, etc.). I really appreciate his work as it saves me waiting for contractors who don't seem interested in time-consuming small jobs. I repay him with gifts but now I'd prefer to honestly pay him for his efforts. Is this possible without affecting his pension or putting him to the trouble of filling in forms? BTW, he would never accept payment without being tax compliant.

Last edited:
If he drives just give him vouchers for petrol wherever he usually fills up.
If not ,give him vouchers for wherever he food shops. He can get 3000 a year without worrying about being tax compliant.

Thanks . Vouchers wouldn't be much use to him. I wasn't sure if gifting 3000 would affect his pension payment or not. Thanks for clarifying.

Is his pension a contributory or non contributory. If the former there is no issue. It will not affect his pension. If it's the latter it might affect it.

In relation to vouchers, does he not shop in a supermarket for food?

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/State-Pension-Non-Contributory---Frequently-Asked-Question.aspx

There it says that income from employment of €200 is not counted as means, but, if it's self employment it is. So I'm assuming therefore that any income he earns would affect his means. Perhaps a phone call to social welfare is the best course of action.

Do you not want to deduct the cost of the work from your rental income?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info .
Do you not want to deduct the cost of the work from your rental income?
These are minor jobs and most tradesmen aren't interested - so it's easier to get them done now rather than waiting for a no-show. I'm still waiting on a plumber to replace a shower for the last six weeks.

Last edited:
Back