Paying 3.75% to ptsb on a <40% mortgage and can't switch!

bmount

Hi, I'm swarming all over this variable rate mortgage issue as it makes me fume and thank you Brendan for all you are doing.

We're paying 3.75% with PTSB on a 400k mortgage - property worth 1.1m. So thats 2290 per month.
The LTV and credit record are not an issue for us - we're ready to switch asap.

So, large monthly repayments that I believe we can get down by 2 or 300 per month.
Its only the low LTV that gives comfort bt that doesn't improve your cash flow.
I will be researching Eurozone mortgages asap as above and keeping close watch on Frank Money's Central Bank pending approval.

KBC 3.1% SVR is the best at moment but waiting.....

thanks again keep it going.

ok thanks for that Sarenco. At the moment its KBC not AIB at the top of list on the mortgage comparison sites with 3.1%.

Ideally I want a bigger saving in line with European countries (who aren't being fleeced).
I want to get this down to where it should be, 2.5% or so.....I hope Frank Money get approved soon.

Thanks Brendan some sound advice in that, I would not be into scams such as incentives or not passing on rates to existing customers which so many of them do not do - disgraceful.
So yes with our relatively low LTV but >250k loan, AIB seems like the best to deal with as the reviews of KBC practices do not seem good.

Tempted to wait perhaps another month or 2 to see what the potential new market entrant 'Frank Money' has to offer (to avoid switching twice) - read a discussion about 2.7% or less somewhere...

Brendan, re vulture fund purchasing a book of mortgages. The vulture fund cannot collect repayment of the mortgages unless it gets authorised by the Central Bank as a credit servicing firm or appoints an authorised credit servicing firm if not lending. If lending it would need to get authorised as a retail credit firm. The government decided not to regulate the vulture funds.

Also any lender could increase its rates to 10% or 20% not just a vulture fund!

Last edited:
KBC 3.1% SVR is the best at moment but waiting.....
Absolutely not. AIB is the best option you have open to you, as discussed many times on this thread.

You do realise that by not switching, and not having switched to date, you are subscribing to the status quo that you are in effect complaining about. Have a little ponder on this point :)

I will be researching Eurozone mortgages asap as above
What difference does european mortgages have to do with this in general. Yes they are good for a comparison, but they are not available here in the short term. Thats like me complaining the cost of a pint in Poland and complaining it costs more here !

This site uses the european model for comparison purposes - not to avail of a european mortgage.

I would not be into scams such as incentives or not passing on rates to existing customers which so many of them do not do - disgraceful.
But by proposing to go with KBC, this is exactly what you were doing

Ideally I want a bigger saving in line with European countries (who aren't being fleeced).
Ideally I want a 0.5% ECB tracker, but that is not reality. Maybe you need to inject a little bit of that into the discussion above

Just to be clear @bmount I am not having a go at you. You are clearly a smart person if you can afford a 1.1m property with a 400k mortgage, but some of the comments above lack a general sense of reality. Brendan has already linked to most of the relevant posts in the immediate term, but not switching because you want a rate of 2.5%, and hoping for a european mortgage provider to give it to you is niaive at best. Frank has rumoured around 2.8%, and you can always switch again if you wish to ! In the meantime, you are subscribing to the status quo

Tempted to wait perhaps another month or 2 to see what the potential new market entrant 'Frank Money' has to offer (to avoid switching twice) - read a discussion about 2.7% or less somewhere...

You can always apply to AIB and you have approval for 6 months. You dont have to switch until later in the summer and make you decision then

The vulture fund cannot collect repayment of the mortgages unless it gets authorised by the Central Bank as a credit servicing firm or appoints an authorised credit servicing firm if not lending.

Correct. But the point is that a criminal could take over a mortgage book tomorrow, whereas the Central Bank has delayed Frank from starting business.

Also any lender could increase its rates to 10% or 20% not just a vulture fund!
Agreed. I think that there is a perception that AIB or BoI won't raise the rates to 20% tomorrow. But any lender who is not open to business would have little disincentive to doing so.

Brendan

ok thanks All.

Best suggestion is get AIB provisional approval valid for 6 months and during that time wait and see what happens with Frank Money.

Best suggestion is get AIB provisional approval valid for 6 months and during that time wait and see what happens with Frank Money.

That “wait and see” strategy could prove to be a fairly expensive mistake if another lender doesn’t undercut AIB very substantially (and AIB fails to react positively to any such competing offer) by the end of your waiting period. Bear in mind that you will still be needlessly paying excessive interest throughout that waiting period.

My advice is very simple – borrowers should switch as soon as they can, where it makes financial sense to do so. In your case, that’s as soon as possible.

If another lender offers an even better deal in six month’s time so that it makes financial sense to switch again – well, that’s what you should do.

If another lender offers an even better deal in six month’s time so that it makes financial sense to switch again – well, that’s what you should do.

You have to get the balance right between these two approaches. In theory Sarenco is right, but in practice it's not easy to switch every few months. It's time consuming and you may end up with costs. AIB will pay your costs of switching, but I don't think that Frank Money intends to, for example.

So switch to AIB. Get approval. Get all the paperwork done - this will take two months anyway. And just before pressing the "switch now" button, check back here again.

If Frank has its license and is set up, then you will have all your papers in order anyway, and will be able to switch quickly.

Brendan

There are two key elements at play here - the rate of interest charged and the period of time over which that rate is charged.

I get the impression that some posters are holding off switching, even though it makes financial sense to do so, on the off-chance that they might get a marginally better rate at some point in the future. That makes no financial sense if the borrower is continuing to unnecessarily pay materially higher rates during the interim period.

Switching makes this sound easy Sarenco, most people don't have the time for all of this. Its never straightforward in my experience.

I've just got off the phone with AIB during work time for 45 minutes.
Did any of you think of **AGE**. Yes me and my wife's age.
There is always a catch isnt there ?
We have 21 years up to age 70 now with PTSB. So we are trapped in PTSB right ?

Beacuse AIB's calculation doesn't give us enough on a 16 year mortgage to redeem the outstanding amount with PTSB i.e. Switch.

AIB will give 16 years max to Age 65. Nonsense. So this idea is gone now.
And this is for people with 35% LTV on a 1.2m house. So this is saying we cant get the savings we require.

I presume Frank Money will also have restrictions.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. If anybody knows of a Bank who will take the switch please let me know.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. If anybody knows of a Bank who will take the switch please let me know.

Try Ulster Bank - 3.2% (if you comply with certain conditions) at your LTV/loan amount and they allow repayments to 70.

AIB will give 16 years max to Age 65. Nonsense.
Can I ask why this is nonsense? I am sure some actuary within AIB has done a risk assessment on this and determine this is the maximum age they feel comfortable providing a mortgage until. I appreciate it may not suit your personal circumstances, but I am sure there is an inherent risk in having a mortgage beyond a certain age - whether that be 60, 65 or 70. The bank is under no obligation to lend to anyway - its a business transaction at the end of the day

And this is for people with 35% LTV on a 1.2m house. So this is saying we cant get the savings we require.
To be honest there are two elements to mortgages. First is LTV which in your case is fantastic, but the second part is affordability for the duration of the mortgage. There is obviously concerns with the bank here, and they feel an inherent risk about lending beyond a certain point. Surely you can accept this point.
Statistically, I am sure someone who is in a position to finish paying their mortgage by 50 is a lessor risk than someone who will not pay their mortgage by 70, all other things remaining equal.

I have no idea of your current levels of savings/investments, what your pension looks like and whether its defined benefit or defined contribution (or whether you have one for that matter). I do wonder if you have pumped too much of your overall savings into a house and left yourself short in other areas!! It might be worth assessing this point. If not, maybe you could look at reducing the overall debt by say 50k, and this may bring you back into the timeline AIB is willing to support.

Personally, I would suggest doing a full financial review, showing all assets, investments, savings etc clashed against all debts and taking this to a broker who may be able to advise on which banks may be willing to deal with mortgages >65 years. I would also suggest calling into a branch to talk to someone in person, as its obviously easier to put your case forward in person.

I understand you are frustrated at this. But I do believe you have to accept there is an additional risk with a longer term mortgage when a person goes above 60 years of age. Unless you are in a rock solid public sector role, there is an inherent risk here, whether be employment, health, retirement etc that cannot be ignored. If you are on a defined benefit pension, you may be able to get them to consider taking a final payment from your lump sum for example?

I will add that I was equally as frustrated with AIB in Sept 2010 when I went for a mortgage and was declined within 2 minutes as I did not have a permanent job, which was one of their 3 gating criteria. However, I did have to accept I was an additional risk at a time when things were delicate for the Irish banks.

Thanks for taking the time on that.

Its a bit hard to explain here, and we re fully on top of our financials in great depth, ill just work on Ulster Bank next as suggested cheers.

Back