PAYE tax Credit entitlement

messyleo

Hi

Asking this on behalf of my sister who used to be a PAYE tax payer and is now going freelance/self-employed. She anticipates her income may be very low €15-20k, leaving her much worse off than a PAYE worker as she won't get a PAYE tax credit like last year (and will have very few expenses so won't be able to claim much tax relief), is there any alternative for low income self employed people to compensate for the lack of a PAYE tax credit? Also I take it the PAYE credit is split up weekly so if she worked as an employee for 3 weeks in 2007 and the rest as self-employed, she would get the annual PAYE credit/52*3?

thanks a mill :)

Hi,

The exemption limit for a single person under 65 for 07 is €10,420 so she would be well over that from what your saying. It can be increased for dependent children but unless she has about 5 thats a non runner too. If I knew what field she would be working in I could tell you about what she could claim in terms of expenses. She is entitiled to the PAYE tax credit for every week that she is in a PAYE employment sdo she would get €1760 on a pro rata basis for each week she works

Hope this is of some use!!!!!

thanks a million for that kjf - things are a lot clearer now! I'll tell her to get started on the family :p

Back