PAYE tax certs mess

porterbray said:
Email is probably the best way to get through to Revenue at the moment, as the phones are jammed.
Are you sure about e-mail? Most large organisations never respond to customer-service requests by e-mail. Does the inland Revenue have some kind of workflow or tracking system to make sure that the mails get to the right desk and are dealt with?

Each Region/District in Revenue has a number of people assigned to deal with email (the number differs between districts) and if the task is relatively simple, like amending a tax credit or changing an address, then they will generally do it, rather than referring it on to another area or to a particular person

porterbray said:
Each Region/District in Revenue has a number of people assigned to deal with email (the number differs between districts) ....then they will generally do it, rather than referring it on to another area or to a particular person

Surely there should be one practice for all districts if it was in any way an efficient organisation

I have emailed departments and been told they are printed and put with the other post to be done when it gets to the top of the pile, like any other post or faxes for that matter

I have had letters hand delivered for clients with the Tax Officers name on it and marked "urgent" and not gotten to them for 4 days
And only after asking why it has not been inputted they went and got it

The tax office is probably going backwards with respect to the amount of work they get through and cannot see how any benchmarking (if gvien) should have been

They have had their phones on and off for the past four months to deal with one back log or another

And before anyone thinks I am just having a go as an accountant I worked for the tax office when I awas younger and had to get out as I had nothing to do from one week to the next

If you want anything done ring, ring, ring, only in the morhing mind you, and when you do get someone to answer do not get off the phone until you get what you want
Also get their name and where they are located

[email protected]

with respect Stuart, I worked for Revenue until relatively recently, and you can be rest assured that noone is sitting in there from one week to the next with nothing to do. Those days are long gone. But I do agree that there should be a more uniformed approach to email within each District

oh for Gods sake. I got my med1 expenses back but they made out the bloody cheque to my mother as my trustee so now i have to send the cheque back and God only knows how long it will take to get sorted!

I rang my employer to see what tax credits they have for me, as I still have not recieved mine. Somehow my SRCOP has been reduced to 23000 and my tax credits to 2120.
I am recently married and have notified the revenue of this therefore my SCROP should be 41000 and my tax credits 3260 (with two incomes). The above mess will have a massive impact on my monthly pay check.
We had arranged for joint assessment so I don't how they came out with the above figures, especially the 23000!
Also we would both earn above the SCROP.

"If both of you have taxable income, you can decide which of you is to be the assessable spouse. You then ask the tax office to allocate the tax credits and standard rate cut-off point between you in whatever way you wish. (The PAYE tax credit, employment expenses and the increase in standard rate cut-off point of 23,000 euro are not transferable)." From oasis.gov.ie concerning married couples.
What do they mean when they refer to "the increase in SCROP of 23000 is not transferable"?

matc66 said:
What do they mean when they refer to "the increase in SCROP of 23000 is not transferable"?
If the lower earning spouse earns less than €23K then any unused portion of the married/both spouses working SRCOP increase cannot be transferred back to the other spouse. It is "lost".

matc66 said:
I rang my employer to see what tax credits they have for me, as I still have not recieved mine. Somehow my SRCOP has been reduced to 23000 and my tax credits to 2120.
I am recently married and have notified the revenue of this therefore my SCROP should be 41000 and my tax credits 3260 (with two incomes). The above mess will have a massive impact on my monthly pay check.
We had arranged for joint assessment so I don't how they came out with the above figures, especially the 23000!
Also we would both earn above the SCROP.

They did to you what they did to me. Last year my wife had the (well 2004 equivilent) of the 23k cut off and I had the 41k. This year they suddenly got reversed. My wife was delighted as she thought she'd be getting the tax benefit of the tax hit I took until i pointed out that she can't have a bigger net salary than gross!!!
You will get the cash bacjk in the next cheque after they sort it.

bazermc said:
I work in tax and revenue drive me mad every day of the week...you just gotta accept they are idiots and there is not much you can do about it....
I would encourage people seeking refunds of overpaid paye due to medical expenses etc...to use their online service.
I got my refund in less than a week
check it out www.ros.ie

I tried this website but it appears to be only for business customers and not for PAYE taxpayers

ACCK01 said:
I would suggest ringing revenue and getting your credits fixed but getting through might be a bit of a problem. They won't automatically fix them up for you unless you ask them to though so you will need to ring them at some point. You could ask payroll to use your 05 tax credit cert until they get things sorted, that's what I did as I had no tax credits allocated to me at all.
Best of luck.
I ring revenue every year to sort out tax credit problems. What about opting for separate taxation, as opposed to being taxed as a married couple. Are there any implications involved in this because it would be a lot simpler!

heracles said:
I tried this website but it appears to be only for business customers and not for PAYE taxpayers

The ROS website is not just for businesses and can be used by individuals for income tax returns (and possibly other things, but that's all I've ever used it for). The PAYE offering of services is not due to go live until "spring 06" - technically speaking I suppose March is spring but I don't think it's live yet.

Janet said:
...but I don't think it's live yet.

I spotted somewhere ([broken link removed]) on the reach website ([broken link removed]) a date of April/May.... which seems to suggest May as the proposed date for a full online PAYE service.

heracles said:
I ring revenue every year to sort out tax credit problems. What about opting for separate taxation, as opposed to being taxed as a married couple. Are there any implications involved in this because it would be a lot simpler!

potentially yes, depending on your earnings being assessed as two seperate people can cost you money.

"Email is probably the best way to get through to Revenue at the moment, as the phones are jammed."

I need to ask revenue something about my tax. They wont answer the phone number that the contact page gives. Does anyone know whether using the email address given is a good option and should I outline completely my query in it giving all my details etc.?

Using the e-mail service will work, but it took about 3/4 working days (6 days split over a weekend) for them to reply. The guy was extremely helpful, tackling everything from my flat rate expenses (I've since sent copy of P60 directly to him to have last years amended) to apologizing profusely for the errors made.

This was in the height of the backlog so could be a little faster (or slower) now. Have to admit, I was close to calling as I wasn't sure had the mail been received, but the problems were corrected pretty fast and have to say the friendliest service I've received from Revenue to date.

I gave pretty full details of what I received and what I believed I should have received... including the questions on flat rates. All were addressed and corrected. If it relates to previous years you'll probably still have to provide previous details (P45s, P60s etc) but no harm trying to make contact with a quick mail.

I've been trying since February to get a Tax Certificate, tried on the online request etc. Eventually, when one hadn't arrived by April I queued for hours at the O'Connell Street - re-directed to Cathedral Street Office. Eventually when I got talking to a customer services staff member, I gave the relevant info, but received the wrong certificate in the post. Next time I rang, spoke to another customer services person, she said the correct cert would be sent out - when it did not arrive I again rang customer service and was told the cert had been passed for despatch, no idea, where it is but it has been amended, almost 3 weeks had elapsed. Another copy cert will be sent!!! The next day the new cert(the one that was missing) arrived, still wrong. In order to avoid the duplicate incorrect cert being sent out I again rang and again spoke to yet another customer service person. I pointed out that the cert was wrong but before anything was discussed I was cut off, his line went dead!!. I'm sure this was an accident. When I immediately tried to re-activate the call I got the automated response that as the office was very busy it would not be possible to talk to anyone personally. One personal visit, queuing for hours, and 4 phone calls later to 3 different staff members, 4 in all, I still have not received the correct Certificate. I hope the e-mail gets a better response. I thought the back-log would be cleared by now.

Back