PAYE tax certs mess

legend99

I know I and a few others have alluded to this accross other posts but just how much of a mess have revenue managed to make of the tax certs....they are running a month late and when I finally get mine I am now my mothers trustee and they have also switched myself and my wife so that she is now being assessed as the higher earner. They have assigned all the credits except my PAYE credit to her along with the 41k standard rate allowance. As she has no need for the extra credits/SRCOP as she doesn't earn that much it means that my next few weeks of pay cheques will be masively down. I know the small print is that it will get refunded but for feck sake, that will be months away judging by how far behind they are. The Sullivans Quay tax office in Cork has had the phone system crash a few times under the weight of phone complaints and the queues are the worst in ages according to the person I talked to.
Anyone else had recent disaster with the new certs???

Is this a Letting Off Steam issue or are you looking for specific answers or advice?

I work in tax and revenue drive me mad every day of the week...you just gotta accept they are idiots and there is not much you can do about it....
I would encourage people seeking refunds of overpaid paye due to medical expenses etc...to use their online service.
I got my refund in less than a week
check it out www.ros.ie

ClubMan said:
Is this a Letting Off Steam issue or are you looking for specific answers or advice?

A question...I wanted to see if others were having the same issue. Could be a letting off steam but I think its pretty tax specific.

bazermc said:
I work in tax and revenue drive me mad every day of the week...you just gotta accept they are idiots and there is not much you can do about it....
I would encourage people seeking refunds of overpaid paye due to medical expenses etc...to use their online service.
I got my refund in less than a week
check it out www.ros.ie
Revenue are rolling out a new online system for the management of PAYE issues (e.g. claiming credits/reliefs, correcting tax credits etc.) this Spring.

paye notice of determination of tax credits

Hello,
Today i just received my tax credits for the year in the post and all it had on it was

personal tax credit 1528 (which is wrong and should be 1630)
paye tax credit 1490

it didnt have any relief for the bin charges or my subscription for union so there should be

384 (bin charges)
60 ( union fees)

extra on my tax credits i think maybe someone could tell me if im right or wrong

the total for my tax credits is 3018 in total and i think this is wrong .

im a single man and on a gross income of 32500

tax credits are srcop
yearly monthly weekly yearly monthly weekly
3018 251.50 58.04 32000 2666.67 615.39

what can i do now if my personal tax credits ie the 1528 figure is wrong how do i get them to change it for me is it a big deal to get done

Last edited by a moderator:
My Tax Cert had only a 'Personal Tax Credit' of 1630 - no PAYE allowance, and absolutely none of the other allowances I'm due either.
The Revenue phone lines are perrmaneantly giving a recorded message saying -Sorry, call back some other time!!!:mad:
Meantime, just as I take on a new mortgage, my salary has been deducted 700 euro extra as a result!!

First of all congratulations to you who have received a cert. I have received no TCC and rang Revenue and found out that my tax credits allocation is all wrong - I have no tax credits allocated to me this year at all - for some reason the information never carried over from '05 !!! The guy I spoke to one the phone said that as far as revenue were concerned I was not employed anywhere as I had no credits allocated to me. Payroll are using my '05 cert to calculate my pay. He manually fixed up my allocations for me but as it stands I still have no TTC.
From what I have heard the new system is in a wee bit of a mess!

well I just managed to have my net pay more than halved thanks to my new wildly incorrect tax cert. i assume I'll get a new one sometime in may so until then its bread and water.
I also saw in the Examiner yesterday some story about the salaries section in the Dail sending a circular to employees warning about the impact to pay cheques for people whose new tax credits were madly different from last year.

I would suggest ringing revenue and getting your credits fixed but getting through might be a bit of a problem. They won't automatically fix them up for you unless you ask them to though so you will need to ring them at some point. You could ask payroll to use your 05 tax credit cert until they get things sorted, that's what I did as I had no tax credits allocated to me at all.
Best of luck.

I would suggest writing to them as a better bet. Or waiting for them to roll out their new online PAYE management system.

ClubMan said:
I would suggest writing to them as a better bet. Or waiting for them to roll out their new online PAYE management system.

I'd have to disagree and say ringing is the better option- according to Gerard Harrahill, the Collector General, on the radio last night, they have double the number of telephone operators on at this time of year to deal with enquiries (over 200). My guess is that these people aren't just hired in from a temp agency but are Revenue employees who know something about the PAYE system. My second guess is that they've been redeployed from other Revenue work and will return to mountains of post whenever their time on the phones is over. Given the volume of calls due to the tax certs problems, they might end up spending longer doing phone support this year than in previous years. Hence the delay in getting to post could be even longer than usual...
Any time I've had to ring PAYE, the recorded voice has told me that they're currently dealing with correspondence received 6 weeks to two months previously. I've hung on (and hung on and on and on...) until I've gotten through to an operator, who could make any changes there and then.

As for the online PAYE system, I wouldn't hold my breath. The CG said last night it would be implemented in May '06, but given the history of IT in the Irish Civil Service (e.g. PPARS, Pulse), I wouldn't be confident of the deadline being met.

miser said:
I'd have to disagree and say ringing is the better option
In my experience over several decades writing has always been more efficient than phoning.
As for the online PAYE system, I wouldn't hold my breath. The CG said last night it would be implemented in May '06, but given the history of IT in the Irish Civil Service (e.g. PPARS, Pulse), I wouldn't be confident of the deadline being met.
The 2006 statements of tax credits promise this system for "Spring 2006".

Revenue totally screwed up my PAYE tax in September last year, adding a huge BIK amount, that nobody could explain :confused:, (Oh they did try, but gave up when they realised I had an IQ and knew some basics about PAYE). They were even going to back date the funny BIK to January and effectively wipe out a whole months salary, i.e after tax I would effectively have got paid 0 in September and a reduced salary in October :mad:.

It took about two weeks of stress and telephone calls, to finally get them to agree it was a mistake, and they dropped it, luckily just in time so I got paid in September :).

But guess what in January this year my months salary was down by about €500, For the new tax year the mysterious huge BIK amount had re-appeared :mad:.

This all happened before the new Tax Certs came out, but funnnily enough I did notice I was out of pocket by €500 in January! I suspected what had happened, Called my my contact in the Tax Offfice from the Sept debacle and they agreed immediately the same mistake was back, They fixed it and said I would get a revised Cert (even though I had no 2006 Cert yet)

Well that was about 3 weeks ago, when a cert finally arrived yestyerday it was still wrong and too late for February pay check, so I am down €500 again (and I just changed my car in January, and went over my budget!) :(, Ouch!

Back onto the tax office again, and they just have no idea why the corrected cert did not come through the system, because on their screens the huge BIK amount is gone :rolleyes:. So, get this!, to try to force another re-issue of my Cert, they have to change something, so they do (small amount in my favour even though they know its not right!)

To be honest, I found the staff helpful, though you do have to work your way through a wall of goofballs before getting to someone who knows the Tax laws. They also seem to be battling with one f*&ck*d up system.

Talking with my payroll guy at work today it seems like a load of people, have received screwed up certs this year, even basic stuff like personal tax credits, that are the same for everyone, are coming out wrong!

Somebody in Revenue needs there ass kicked big time! , if it was a private sector service company, they would be gone under long ago.

Well latest info from my payroll guy is he has revised figures for me that look correct (though i did not receive them yet), so I should be able to look forward to a big poay check in March :)( fingers crossed!)

I look after a number of companies for payroll. The number of incorrect new tax certificates sent out has been unreal. A lot of employees have gotten certificates with zero tax credits and cutoff. I've given up trying to ring revenue. I do find they react to emails quite well.

Past30

RSMike said:
They also seem to be battling with one f*&ck*d up system.
Somebody in Revenue needs there ass kicked big time! , if it was a private sector service company, they would be gone under long ago.
The internal IT staffs' jobs are due to be relocated to Kildare, very few have applied to go there. So, the new system was out-sourced to the same private sector company that developed the Pulse system.The new online system depends on Reach which is being developed by another private sector company. Reach is running well behind schedule.

Best bet is to persevere until you get to speak to a human in the tax office, they're doing the best they can in the circumstances. Minor changes such as Union Subs & Bin Charges can be done online or SMS & I've heard this is going OK.

So, the new system was out-sourced to the same private sector company that developed the Pulse system.The new online system depends on Reach which is being developed by another private sector company.

The problem is that there are still public sector employees involved in decision making. The private sector company is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

umop3p!sdn said:
The problem is that there are still public sector employees involved in decision making.
They've been told that no matter how hard they work or how successful the project is, they've no career prospects unless they move themselves and their families to Kildare.

But to keep on topic, the best thing for anybody badly affected to do is to keep trying to get through on the phone.

The system isn't great, but to compare it to the PPARS isn't really accurate. The PPARs is a system that didn't work in the first place. The PAYE system is more or less overloaded. Email is probably the best way to get through to Revenue at the moment, as the phones are jammed. It might not be be much of a consolation to people affected (me included) but at least it will be sorted out for the next pay period and at the end of the day we won't actually lose out financially

Back