PAYE - in a bit of a mess

techman

Hello,

My personal finances are in a bit of a mess. Married a few years ago and both of us are employed and pay tax at the high rate.

We both have medical expenses to claim back for the last 4 years.

I did not complete or submit any form to Revenue in relation to marriage and I am not sure what to do first or how to do this online and claim back all our medical expenses.

Help appreciated.

techman.

What is the mess you are referring too? Do you have income that you have no declared ? If not bar sort out tax credits and refunds you are not in a mess . In fact your a likely due a refund

Just not sure about what to do first. Claim medical expenses for both of us first or submit form in relation to marriage? And in relation to marriage, is it usually joint assessment?

Thanks for the reply.

I would have thought:

1. Get your refunds on your medical expenses. Each of ye do this via 'My Account':

Refunds are paid promptly if the website is to be believed.

2. Sort out joint assessment shortly thereafter.
(Assuming you are both higher rate taxpayers (who've used their credits to the full) since marriage with none of the spouses having taken time out of employment to look after kids, dependent etc.)

Should be straightforward.

I did not complete or submit any form to Revenue in relation to marriage and I am not sure what to do first or how to do this online and claim back all our medical expenses.

you’re not obliged to register for joint assessment on marriage. You’re medical expenses are relieved at the lower tax rate so no advantage to joint assessment in your case. You can also register as married and continue to opt for separate assessment if you wish.

You could always ask them for a Form 12 to be posted to you for each of the past 4 years. Gather all your bits and pieces, p60's etc. Then take your time and complete each year's return as if it were last years. Submit them all together.

Did you keep pay slips?

alternatively there are companies out there that will take all of this, apply for any rebates etc once you have provided receipts but they will take a cut of any payback (if any) you get

Back