PAYE and Preliminary Tax

diggerdigger

My OH is a PAYE worker, with no untaxed income, but files on ROS as she have some reportable CGT events some years back.
On her 2016 return, she was charged preliminary tax, in the exact amount she have overpaid. (I did not see the submission - so I dont know if it was an error on her part).
Now for 2017, a preliminary tax is pre-populated exceeding her calculated overpayment?
Why would a PAYE only worker be subject to preliminary tax? Is this a ROS system thing?

Last edited:
In my limited personal experience it could well be a ROS system thing, but still needs fixing or the system will continue to think that money is owed.
When you are submitting the Form11 online, the system asks you about Preliminary Tax for next year. If you don't owe any tax, you enter 0 (a 'zero') in the box. She may have accidentally put a wrong number in there or put in the refund amount there instead. If she logs into her ROS she should be able to pull down her documents from last year (they appear as emails in the Inbox I think) and can see there if that error was made.
Otherwise, ring Revenue - but they don't make it easy to get someone on the phone! Maybe someone with more knowledge will answer here as well.

Checked last year, and i wont say it to her (for the sake of peace), but Id say she put the preliminary amount in herself instead of a refund. The prelim is showing as a payment to collector in 17, so i've zero'd the pre-populated 18 preliminary, and requested the full over-payment amount in refund and submitted. and sent off an enquiry for record.

Thanks.

Back