Pay for poor job or make them refit shower tray?

laila

Have had ongoing problems with leaks in ensuite shower. Decided to do a once and for all "fix it" got new tray with upstand and new door. Wall needed to be built out a couple of inches to fit tray and door. However the builder has installed the tray without using the upstand with the effect that there is a little u shape between where the tiles and shower tray meet and this has been siliconed. The door has not yet been fitted. To do the job right it all has to come down again and the job started from scratch including building out the wall. The builder is insisting that all will be well and that he will guarantee for 10 years - I don't believe he would ever come back. I don't want a discount I want the job done again. Am I being unreasonable? What rights do I have? thanks

It depends to a great extent on the instructions you gave him and, if it comes to a legal dispute, what evidence you have of the instructions you gave. I infer that you supplied materials, including the upstand, and that fact would be very convincing.

If I interpret things correctly, I would think that you can demand that he do the job again, and do it as instructed.

Thanks for advice. I was surprised when he put his hands up and agreed that it was a mistake. He is going to refit it. I just hope he will do it well this time. I let it go that the border in the tiles was put in the wrong place. I am now wondering how does one fit the door when there is an upstand - could this cause another problem. I feel that I cannot trust this guy to know and I had better check out the technicalities myself. Any advice appreciated.

was your builder not recommended? and surely the time to ask all your questions were BEFORE you gave him the job. you just dont seem to trust him to do a good job. i know if it were me and i felt the kind of doubts that you have i'd negotiate a discount or work done and get someone else....

He - the company- was recommended. I guess I just did not trust him when he tried to pawn the badly fitted job off on me - ah it will be grand with a bit of silicone. However once he knew that I was just not going to accept it he agreed to do it again - he just blamed one of the workmen. When I wrote my original post I was expecting a lot more resistence from him but he agreed to redo without much trouble so I am happy enough with that. Mistakes happen but I guess the difference between the good guys and the bad guys is that the good guys are willing to take responsibility for their mistakes and put it right. So despite the rocky path I would use this company again for that reason. Thanks.

Back