pawn shops in Dublin

gixer2503

is there any pawn brokers/shops in dublin?ill be up ther tomorrow and need to get rid of some items.all legal but i dont know dublin very well.:confused:

Re: pawn shops

Not many left - there's one on Capel Street, Brereton's I think.

Theres at least 3 on this webpage.

[broken link removed]

Kearns
69 Queen's Street, In & Around Dublin
Kearns is a pawnbroker. They deal in all new and old jewellery...

Kilbride
53 Lower Clanbrassil Street, In & Around Dublin
Kilbride is a pawnbrokers shop dealing in all types of new and...

P Carthy
85 Marlborough Street, City Centre
P. Carthy Jewellers Ltd are pawnbrokers. They welcome any piec...

Kearns and P Carthy are both within 15 minutes walk of O Connell Street. Kilbride is further out in the direction of Harolds cross

Theres at least 3 on this webpage.

[broken link removed]

Kearns and P carthy are both within 15 minutes walk of O Connell Street. Kilbride is further out in the dfirection of Harolds cross

thank u thats reall y helpful:D

Hi,

I don't know much about pawnshops except that I have always heard that you get very little money for your goods. Also heard that Cash Convertors have a bad reputation in the UK. You can check this out if you google them.
If possible could you sell your goods through Buy & Sell. I have both bought and sold there over the years and overall found it good. There is also eBay though personally I have no experience of them. It might be viable for small items which can be posted to the buyer. I have also bought and sold goods advertised in the local supermarket notice board.
I know I am not much help and best of luck

Guby

The point of a pawnshop for many customers would not be the figure they get for an item - say a piece of jewellery normally valued at €1K. For example if a pawnbroker gives the customer €200 for the piece of jewellery, they get a note and have a set amount of time to pay the money back and redeem their jewellery.

If you're selling an item and do not require it back, then Buy & Sell etc make perfect sense, but if you want it back and in the short term will have funds to redeem it then it makes sense to use a Pawnbroker if you are really stuck.

You're right mo3art. I'd never go near a pawnshop for a loan unless desperate. And if selling something of value it pays to shop around for buyers and use buy and sell etc

I've heard too many stories of the 'good ol days' when people were so poor they'd take their Sunday suit out of the pawn on Saturday, wear it to Sunday mass and put it back in for Monday morning :p

You're right mo3art. I'd never go near a pawnshop for a loan unless desperate. And if selling something of value it pays to shop around for buyers and use buy and sell etc

I've heard too many stories of the 'good ol days' when people were so poor they'd take their Sunday suit out of the pawn on Saturday, wear it to Sunday mass and put it back in for Monday morning :p

I've heard of this too but I don't get what was in it for the pawnbroker? It appears to me that it was a social service but that can't be right.....old time pawnbrokers with a heart??

Its a funny story especially today but those in the older generation swear to me that its true !

I suppose people back then were more innocent and less financially aware :confused: and didnt realise the kind of deal they were getting ? Or so much poorer that they lived from day to day.
In many ways people have been burdened (im tempted to say ripped off) by high charges for years with such things as investments , pension charges etc
If only they had askaboutmoney.com to consult back then ;)

I wouldnt think a pawnbroker would intend to lose money on any deal ?

...I've heard too many stories of the 'good ol days' when people were so poor they'd take their Sunday suit out of the pawn on Saturday, wear it to Sunday mass and put it back in for Monday morning :p

From the traditional song "The Waxies' Dargle"...

Says my old one to your old one
"Will ye come to the Galway Races"
Says your old one to my old one,
"With the price of my aul' lad's braces.
I went down to Capel Street
To the Jew-man moneylenders
But they wouldn't give me a couple of bob on
My old lad's red suspenders."

:)

Back