Patronising People in Business - "thanks for that, good girl!"

Re: Patronising People in Business

How about "the girl in the shop" etc?
Women use the term more than men.

It may be an acceptable term to use to describe someone I,E a worker in a shop,or girl in the office etc but I think it is unacceptable to directly refer to someone, in a professional capacity, in that manner, EG your a good girl.

It may be an acceptable term to use to describe someone I,E a worker in a shop,or girl in the office etc but I think it is unacceptable to directly refer to someone, in a professional capacity, in that manner, EG your a good girl.

I don't think it's acceptable to refer to a woman as a girl or a man as a boy in any work related context. I often hear women refer to "the girl in the shop” etc and it bugs the hell out of me.

I don't think it's acceptable to refer to a woman as a girl or a man as a boy in any work related context. I often hear women refer to "the girl in the shop” etc and it bugs the hell out of me.

But has anyone (in business) ever said to you " the girl in your office called"etc. Is this acceptable?

Around here, it's "young one" or "young lad"
The girls don't seem to be bothered with young one and rightly so

But in Dublin they seem to say "thanks love"
Now that I find stranger

I had a client who used to always finish our phone calls with "Thanks babe" !!

I had a client who used to always finish our phone calls with "Thanks babe" !!

Funny enough 'client' is actually a mild form of insult where I come from. Really.

A couple of weeks later she got her act together and said she was not going to let it rest and drove 4.5 hours to the other end of the country to confront him in his office and told him if he ever laid a hand on her again or if she heard of him doing that to anyone else he would end up in Mount Jerome.

Horrible Story.
Actually I think it ended beautifully, what a formidable woman, I'd love to meet her.

Are you a working girl as well???

Eeeek. My mind is too innocent for my own good sometimes! :eek::)
It was a client of my company obviously... that doesn't sound any better... i'll just stop now! :)

Hate getting called good lad at work. Makes me want to punch people in the face!

Had one or two young women at work called "Love" on phone calls and it did their heads in.
I'd never say the girl in the shop, just "yer one" ;)

I call people girl and boy all the time, but then again I am a Corkman, as in

"How's it going girl!"

There is a man here who usually rings off "good girl becky"- have to say I'm always chuffed for some reason.

I deal with a cork man who always greets me with a "all right girl" and was a bit put out until I heard him saying to my 55 year old boss.

we have a lot of rural customers and quite often the oul lads will sign off a phone conversation with 'good girl'. It doesn't bother me when they're older men. they usually strike me as the sort of men who would also hold open a door for me.

but in a work situation when younger men (closer to my own age) call me 'love' i feel like baring my teeth. and not in a good way!

Each time look at this thread The Snapper springs to mind and

"Good girl"

Yach, makes me feel sick.

Back