Passport renewal online tips?

I received my brand new shiny 10 year paper version replacement passport today by express post. [It said that the card version will arrive in a few days.]Went to the photo centre in town as i preferred to have the professionals take the photo to avoid queries from the passport office about it after the application was made.Had to get help from a "young person"with uploading the photo all right as its a bit difficult for seniors,which the photo centre emailed to me.Well worth the 10 euros i think.Does anyone know if i can travel to Spain on this new passport tomorrow or do i have to wait until the card version arrives and take it with me as well when i travel and what is the purpose of having 2 versions? Thanks.

Last edited:
you can definitely travel with the replacement paper version. The card version is just a handier version for people to carry in their wallet.

My husbands passport was with us 21 hours after filling in the renew on line.
Renewed our kids passports earlier this year and both were back within the allotted time although one did arrive a week before the other. The onus is on the applicant to complete the forms correctly - this included ensuring who ever witnesses the consent for kids completed it correctly

My husbands passport was with us 21 hours after filling in the renew on line.
Renewed our kids passports earlier this year and both were back within the allotted time although one did arrive a week before the other. The onus is on the applicant to complete the forms correctly - this included ensuring who ever witnesses the consent for kids completed it correctly
Yeah. My own card passport came back within 48 hours too last month. My point is that the Passport Office’s processes have left much to be desired in my instance. One error has led to a delay of five months where I wasn’t even notified of the error until I enquired. Having fixed that, they identified another error with the submitted photo which their own software on their own website cropped, approved and which their staff rejected six weeks later.

Good to see the Passport Office Police out in force!

Last edited:
What a great and efficient system! Customer-focused and user friendly!

(Passport holders are, after all, charged a fee for their passport, so a more customer-friendly approach is warranted perhaps?)

In the end, because of this slack approach, the Passport Office just ends up adding more layers of administration, and all just to spare themselves a small bit of work up front. People (applicants and witnesses) will make mistakes in form-filling. It’s part of the process. Punitive delays shouldn’t form part of that process.
Of course they should notify people promptly if there are errors in their application. But they shouldn't process an incomplete application. It is a waste of time as they will effectively have to process the application twice, taking up time in processing the ones that have been completed correctly and can be issued immediately without delay.

Of course they should notify people promptly if there are errors in their application. But they shouldn't process an incomplete application. It is a waste of time as they will effectively have to process the application twice, taking up time in processing the ones that have been completed correctly and can be issued immediately without delay.
I’m not for a moment suggesting that they process an incomplete application.

But should they not review the original application in its entirety to ensure there are no additional errors or omissions that require to be rectified other than the first error identified? Rather than call a halt to the whole process once they hit the first error?

If an application has several issues, under the current process, it will take several rounds of correspondence and several resubmissions to get to the end line.

Hardly the most efficient approach.

But should they not review the original application in its entirety to ensure there are no additional errors or omissions that require to be rectified other than the first error identified? Rather than call a halt to the whole process once they hit the first error?
They automate as much as possible.

Most likely it is due to incomplete provision of supporting documentation such as birth certificates.

If a form is being filled out incorrectly 40% of the time maybe they should look at the form and the top x reasons for errors.
Doing the job that I do, there's a lot of form filling. It's incredible how much information is left out, especially with anything that involves medical questions.

I can easily imagine something similar happening with passports. People not wanting to disclose information to the State or thinking it doesn't apply to them. Well it does. And the forms are very clear on how to fill out the forms and what information is required. Go through it step by step and you will have your passport in a couple of days. Decide you are different, you will be waiting weeks.

I don't think its slack to have someone continue with an application that would not be approved....wasting time and effort. Its far from mere administration either and you need to be 100% percent clear that this applicant isn't a terrorist...etc before approvals can be officially requested. If anything is missing or incorrectly provided, its considered omitted, which raises a red flag.

If you are having trouble with your online photo, try it again but keep rotating it to the left rather than right to get it straight. Plain white cabinet, fridge door and my son (adult) took a selfie that was accepted.

Back