Passport Office strike

Perhaps I am wrong on the following but I'd love to know the answer;

1) They do a 32.5 hour week
2) They are not doing overtime

More anti-public service lies again!!!

A Clerical officer is the civil service must work a minimum of 6hr 57min every day, this is "clocked in" working, and does not include lunch breaks which is "clocked out".

Overtime in most public offices was completly cut due to the recession and has lead to severe backlogs in a lot of areas, and it doesnt help when anyone who has retired in the last two years, or anyone transfered in another office hasnt been replaced due again to the recession.

I personnally will not work overtime even if I could, as it is simply not financially worth it. I am not willing to pay anymore penion levy than I have to

Ok so they work a 35hr week, apologies if I was incorrect. The point still remains, how are they being asked to work twice as much? Its not like they are being told to do a 70 hour week without overtime.

Btw the 32.5hr week was based on them getting tea breaks which they are entitled to every 4 hours. Obviously if they are only doing 7 hours a day then they may not be entitled to 2 breaks per day.

Ok so they work a 35hr week, apologies if I was incorrect. The point still remains, how are they being asked to work twice as much? Its not like they are being told to do a 70 hour week without overtime.

Btw the 32.5hr week was based on them getting tea breaks which they are entitled to every 4 hours. Obviously if they are only doing 7 hours a day then they may not be entitled to 2 breaks per day.
lol.

Only when someone is talking about/bashing the public service would they subtract 'tea breaks' from time worked. This board is comedy gold sometimes.

I assume this thread is irrelevant now given the unions/govt. have reached agreement? Is the dispute over then?

lol.

Only when someone is talking about/bashing the public service would they subtract 'tea breaks' from time worked. This board is comedy gold sometimes.

in fairness, in many companies in the private sector you may only get one 20 minute tea break and in some, none at all. The European Working time directive requires a 20 minute break if you work 6 hours. Hence for a 7 hour working day, the liklihood is that in many private sector companies, the time a staff member will be available for work is potentially greater then in much of the public sector

Hence for a 7 hour working day, the liklihood is that in many private sector companies, the time a staff member will be available for work is potentially greater then in much of the public sector

This is rubbish - there is no difference in the regulations for public and private sectors.

Mpsox:

Well some companies are breaking the law then.

It's 15 minutes break for 4 1/2 hours work, or if 6 hours are worked it's 30 mins.

Shop workers must get a one hour break if they work the hours 11.30-2.30, and work 6 hours in total.

I checked online and apparently my application vis passport express has been received and "registered" - does this mean anything in particular?

Can I assume for instance that there are no issues with the form/photos etc?

This is rubbish - there is no difference in the regulations for public and private sectors.

I never said there was. In much of the private sector, there are no tea breaks, only a lunch break, hence if you are employed to work a 7 hr day (excluding lunch), you are potentially at your desk 7 hrs a day

Previous posters alluded to staff in the public sector having 2 20 minute tea breaks a day, hence if you are employed to work a 7 hr day (excluding lunch), you are potentially at your desk 6hrs and 20 minutes a day

Mpsox:

Well some companies are breaking the law then.

It's 15 minutes break for 4 1/2 hours work, or if 6 hours are worked it's 30 mins.

Shop workers must get a one hour break if they work the hours 11.30-2.30, and work 6 hours in total.

Not if you have a lunch break. I've worked in firms where the only break people had in a 7.5 hr day was an hour for lunch, providing it is taken in the time frame you've mentioned above, no law is broken

where I work (public sector) if one of us is on leave or sick or at a course etc then we get no tea break and the normal 30 minutes for lunch. Most days we don't take a tea break because it is so busy and normally only take enough time at lunch to eat and then get back to help the other person because it is so busy

Not if you have a lunch break. I've worked in firms where the only break people had in a 7.5 hr day was an hour for lunch, providing it is taken in the time frame you've mentioned above, no law is broken
Yes, I was referring to breaks in general, not specifically 'tea' or 'lunch.'

Equally, there are places in the public service that don't get a morning or afternoon tea break. It's entirely at the discretion of local management.

Just for anyone who is still waiting;

I left two applications into Molesworth St on 2nd April. They told me they would be posted out on 19th April. They arrived at the house on 21st April.

Crud. I am going abroad in July. 4th July. My passport expires on 6th July so techincally I will have problems getting back.

Should I apply for a new passport now and if so what is the quickest way of getting one in the current environment.

Cheers

Mine was registered on 07/04/10 as received, has not changed since, I count to-day would be day 16 . I used passport express.

I wonder how long before they get back to 10 day turn around?

Crud. I am going abroad in July. 4th July. My passport expires on 6th July so techincally I will have problems getting back.

Should I apply for a new passport now and if so what is the quickest way of getting one in the current environment.

Cheers

I would say apply now and don't delay. I would use the express service even though it may may not be yet up to speed. You should be OK for 4th July going by my experience.

Back